When is it ok to have an abortion?

I don’t know of any health care professional who would terminate a viable foetus other than for a foetal abnormality incompatible with life.  Given current ante natal diagnostics such occurrences are rare. After many years working in gynaecology and obstetrics I’ve not met any woman, and very few men, who have taken the decision to abort a pregnancy without much soul searching 

On 03/06/2019 at 18:50, ez8004 said:

You can abort at any time as defined in law. To argue otherwise is a waste of time and pointless. 

If everyone had your attitude then abortion would be illegal and slavery would still be legal.

Discussions are the pre-cursor to law change.

On 03/06/2019 at 21:31, SnailyBoy said:

Choice of bodily autonomy is a sound bite, seriously?

An unborn foetus isn't a person, the woman providing for the unborn foetus is the only person in this case.

It should be her choice if she wishes to continue with that. Not yours.

Should we all, as a society, not have an input?

8 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

That's his input...  Are you suggesting he's not entitled to make it?

34 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

That's his input...  Are you suggesting he's not entitled to make it?

No.  In fact I actively engaged with his input.

What an odd question to ask me.

Why the non sequitur then?  He didn't say or suggest that society shouldn't have input.

19 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

Let me get clarification on that. Are you asking if society should have an input in whether or not a woman can have an abortion, or whether or not she can have a baby?

My personal opinion is that the amount of influence and opinion anyone can have over whether or not a woman chooses to have a baby is in direct proportion to the amount of input that that person or institution is going to have on bringing up that child.  All these pro-life campaigners wittering on about how a woman must have a baby are nowhere to be seen once shes had that baby.  Says it all really.

I'm against abortion but I'd never go after women in terms of forbidding them from having an abortion or punishing them having one, its their bodies after all. We need to address the culture of carelessness around family planning.

Edited by Dontquoteme

11 hours ago, alchemist said:

Let me get clarification on that. Are you asking if society should have an input in whether or not a woman can have an abortion, or whether or not she can have a baby?

My personal opinion is that the amount of influence and opinion anyone can have over whether or not a woman chooses to have a baby is in direct proportion to the amount of input that that person or institution is going to have on bringing up that child.  All these pro-life campaigners wittering on about how a woman must have a baby are nowhere to be seen once shes had that baby.  Says it all really.

I think it was that society should have an input on the acceptable timeframe for abortions to be available in "normal" circumstances.

On 10/06/2019 at 07:59, alchemist said:

Whether or not she can have an abortion.

Your 2nd paragraph is a false equivalence that fails to stand up to scrutiny.  I am nowhere to be seen in over 99% of UK children's lives. Does this mean I can't condemn child killings or abuse?

Saying that one must be involved in the lives of children to discuss the legality of abortion is quite frankly stupid.

4 hours ago, JamesR123 said:

Whether or not she can have an abortion.

Your 2nd paragraph is a false equivalence that fails to stand up to scrutiny.  I am nowhere to be seen in over 99% of UK children's lives. Does this mean I can't condemn child killings or abuse?

Saying that one must be involved in the lives of children to discuss the legality of abortion is quite frankly stupid.

I did not mention child abuse, you did.  Introducing a totally separate issue to muddy the waters does not invalidate my point, in fact if anything it emphasis my point in that you feel you need to introduce another question that I had not even mentioned. 

There are laws to cover child abuse that you are of course welcome to have an opinion on, but is, in my opinion, outside the scope of this discussion. Unless, however, you are saying that abortion is child killing or abuse?  If so then that is an interesting, and unexpected, leap to an all new ball game

Abortion in this country is currently legal so you are welcome to open a discussion on whether or not you think it ought to remain so, or change. 

I will, however restate my opinion that trying to tell a woman that she cannot, or should not, have an abortion, when you are not involved with that woman, or her pregnancy, is, quite frankly, none of your business, nor indeed, mine.  Even if you do think that that is stupid

5 hours ago, alchemist said:

Unless, however, you are saying that abortion is child killing or abuse?  

Abortion of a foetus 1 day before its natural birthdate (as was being discussed originally) is exactly that.

Aside from that, I see his point - people are entitled to hold an opinion, and discuss that opinion, on anything. It doesn't matter if you think it's any of their business.

12 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Abortion of a foetus 1 day before its natural birthdate (as was being discussed originally) is exactly that.

Aside from that, I see his point - people are entitled to hold an opinion, and discuss that opinion, on anything. It doesn't matter if you think it's any of their business.

There is a difference between having an opinion and discussing it, and forcing that opinion on a complete stranger.  I will uphold the right of the pro-life groups to have an opinion, even if I disagree with it, what i DO object to is when they force that opinion, often violently, on innocent real people trying to go about their legitimate business.