When is it ok to have an abortion?

57 minutes ago, altus said:

What counts as viable? How much medical intervention is allowed? What happens when we develop the technology to grow fertilised eggs into humans in artificial wombs? At that point, what about a zygote (fertilised egg) that fails to attach to the woman's womb?

Well, it can be taken to an extreme I suppose. It can survive with medical intervention.

In the same way you or I could survive with medical intervention after a bad accident.

2 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Ah, it didn't take long for the emotive language to come out, 'killing an unborn baby'.

Pure hyperbole.

'emotive' or factual?

Do you think an unborn child of 9 months could rightly be 'terminated' (to use language you prefer) the day before it was due to be born?

2 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Do you think an unborn child of 9 months could rightly be 'terminated' (to use language you prefer) the day before it was due to be born?

As I pointed out in earlier posts, full term pregnancies are terminated on a daily basis with, on the whole, no complications to the mother or baby.

What do you think of the case below?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20321741

1 minute ago, SnailyBoy said:

As I pointed out in earlier posts, full term pregnancies are terminated on a daily basis with, on the whole, no complications to the mother or baby.

OK, what do YOU think of the morality of a woman deciding to abort a child in the 9th month of pregnancy.

Should she be allowed, based purely on her own thoughts, regardless of reason?

A straight answer would be welcome.

9 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

OK, what do YOU think of the morality of a woman deciding to abort a child in the 9th month of pregnancy.

Should she be allowed, based purely on her own thoughts, regardless of reason?

A straight answer would be welcome.

We need to get into definitions here. What's your definition of morality in this case?

Oh, and you might want to read the following for a little realistic context.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/the-9-month-abortion-is-a-myth-british-women-must-be-allowed-to/

Edited by SnailyBoy

20 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Savita Halappanavar was 17 weeks pregnant when she realised something was wrong on the 21st October. On the 28th October she died. 

A minor reminder seems to be in order at this point that abortion is legal in this country and is very likely to ever be made illegal again, no matter what your opinion.

We are discussing how late an abortion you consider to be morally acceptable, not whether voluntary termination of a pregnancy is right or wrong.

Please refrain from the sort of emotive language which is posted to imply blame.

4 minutes ago, Sidonica said:

Savita Halappanavar was 17 weeks pregnant when she realised something was wrong on the 21st October. On the 28th October she died. 

Indeed, it's tragic she was in Ireland at the time and didn't have the right to choose.

Edited by SnailyBoy

1 hour ago, SnailyBoy said:

We need to get into definitions here. What's your definition of morality in this case?

Oh, and you might want to read the following for a little realistic context.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/the-9-month-abortion-is-a-myth-british-women-must-be-allowed-to/

So, no straight answer then. I'm just interested on what YOU, as a poster on this thread think to a woman having an abortion so late on, when it could be born and survive. No need to post links to some other articles, just jot down your own opinion.

Cases of women dying in childbirth are always tragic. But does that then give justification to very late stage terminations?

I'm going to duck out on this as I really haven't a clue except to say aborting a child at that late stage just can't be right.

13 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

So, no straight answer then. I'm just interested on what YOU, as a poster on this thread think to a woman having an abortion so late on, when it could be born and survive. No need to post links to some other articles, just jot down your own opinion.

Cases of women dying in childbirth are always tragic. But does that then give justification to very late stage terminations?

I think women should have the right to choose what happens to their bodies. If they choose to have an abortion it isn't any of your or my business.

For your second question, the women in question didn't die in childbirth. If she'd had an abortion should would have survived her complications. So, yes, it boils down to the women having the right to choose to have an abortion to save herself, there's the justification.

If you feel that a women shouldn't have the right to choose, you need to try and justify that.

1 minute ago, Bash Street said:

I'm going to duck out on this as I really haven't a clue except to say aborting a child at that late stage just can't be right.

It doesn't happen. It's an attempt to demonise women who choose to have abortions.

You can abort at any time as defined in law. To argue otherwise is a waste of time and pointless. 

23 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

I think women should have the right to choose what happens to their bodies. If they choose to have an abortion it isn't any of your or my business.

For your second question, the women in question didn't die in childbirth. If she'd had an abortion should would have survived her complications. So, yes, it boils down to the women having the right to choose to have an abortion to save herself, there's the justification.

If you feel that a women shouldn't have the right to choose, you need to try and justify that.

It doesn't happen. It's an attempt to demonise women who choose to have abortions.

I'm sure it has happened at some time.