When is it ok to have an abortion?

Whilst speaking to a friend today I was a little taken aback by his stance on abortion. He believes a women has the right to have a termination right up to the due date even if neither the baby or the mother is in any danger as he believes a women's right to choose is the number one priority. I just cant get my head around this and feel that as soon as the fetus is viable then the choice to have a termination should not be just the mothers choice.

What are your thoughts on this? Is my friend right?

Wow, this is going to be a hot one.............

My feelings are the same as yours. If it's a viable foetus, then the time for abortion has passed. If it can survive, it's a human and should be protected in law, just as though it happened to be outside the womb.

42 minutes ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

Whilst speaking to a friend today I was a little taken aback by his stance on abortion. He believes a women has the right to have a termination right up to the due date even if neither the baby or the mother is in any danger as he believes a women's right to choose is the number one priority. I just cant get my head around this and feel that as soon as the fetus is viable then the choice to have a termination should not be just the mothers choice.

Women choose to terminate a full term pregnancy all the time. It's commonly known as a Cesarean Section.

But seriously who cares? and why is it anyone else's business ?

If it happened to someone i knew,it would be a personal discussion not aired amongst a group of people about who we don't give a stuff.

41 minutes ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

You friend sounds like a ‘Pro-choice’ extremist, at the polar opposite of the abortion clinics-burning ‘Pro-life’ extremists on the abortion spectrum.

So far as I’m concerned, your friend is wrong.

Past an objective, scientific (medical) threshold (for instance as posted by Voice above), a termination ceases to be an acceptable or tolerable choice, and becomes a lifestyle choice - at the actual expense of life itself. That’s wrong by any moral code or construct, which anyone would care to put forward.

5 minutes ago, L00b said:

You friend sounds like a ‘Pro-choice’ extremist, at the polar opposite of the abortion clinics-burning ‘Pro-life’ extremists on the abortion spectrum.

So far as I’m concerned, your friend is wrong.

Past an objective, scientific (medical) threshold (for instance as posted by Voice above), a termination ceases to be an acceptable or tolerable choice, and becomes a lifestyle choice - at the actual expense of life itself. That’s wrong by any moral code or construct, which anyone would care to put forward.

The issue there is that you're granting the foetus special rights that aren't available for others. If I , for instance, had kidney failure and will die without a kidney transplant and you happened to be a perfect match.

Should you be forced to provide me with a kidney?

37 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Wow, this is going to be a hot one.............

My feelings are the same as yours. If it's a viable foetus, then the time for abortion has passed. If it can survive, it's a human and should be protected in law, just as though it happened to be outside the womb.

What counts as viable? How much medical intervention is allowed? What happens when we develop the technology to grow fertilised eggs into humans in artificial wombs? At that point, what about a zygote (fertilised egg) that fails to attach to the woman's womb?

52 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Women choose to terminate a full term pregnancy all the time. It's commonly known as a Cesarean Section.

Well that was a failed attempt at trying to be funny and clever.

1 minute ago, Yeah but said:

Well that was a failed attempt at trying to be funny and clever.

Funny and clever?

It's simply a fact. Women can choose a Caesarean Section to terminate a full term pregnancy. It happens all the time. 

2 minutes ago, SnailyBoy said:

Funny and clever?

It's simply a fact. Women can choose a Caesarean Section to terminate a full term pregnancy. It happens all the time. 

I think you know that the thread is about abortion, as in, killing, for want of a better word, an unborn baby. Your pedantry with this is actually quite distasteful. 

1 hour ago, LizzieBirdswrth said:

If someone was to abort a healthy baby on it's due date it's more than likely going to come out alive. 

So essentially what they are saying is they think it's ok to remove the baby, and then kill it???

Edited by geared

1 minute ago, Yeah but said:

I think you know that the thread is about abortion, as in, killing, for want of a better word, an unborn baby. Your pedantry with this is actually quite distasteful. 

Ah, it didn't take long for the emotive language to come out, 'killing an unborn baby'.

Pure hyperbole.