Sign in to follow this  

Lets talk mental health

We would like to encourage people in Sheffield to talk about their mental health. 

Edited by The rTMS Centre

Its fashionable right now to talk about giving mental health the same importance and resource as physical health, but lets face it, you can't.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that mental health isn't important but as far as resources are concerned, treating mental health will be an endless money pit with unclear/debatable success/results

In the treatment of mental health, what does success look like?? when you have a broken leg, its clear what's wrong with you...you have a broken leg, and successful treatment is of course having a healed broken leg, but with mental health,  what is "wrong" with you in the first place, the degree to which you're "ill" is open to interpretation, and as I say, what does success look like? its all too subjective.

Edited by Yeah but

Thank you for your comment. 

Yes, we can treat mental health and we have been doing for a number of years using various resources from medication to alternative treatments. 

You have used the example of a broken leg. Let us say a person breaks their leg today and we treat that person and he is better. What stops that person's leg from being broken again? Nothing, physical injuries happen all the time and we should not assume that if we have treated once, then it will never break again. 

Regarding mental health, of course, it is different from physical health but we should not ignore it. Mental illnesses are 'illnesses' and should be looked at and treated seriously and effectively. 

Success with mental illnesses looks like a person living a normal life, with a stable mood, happy, content, able to go outside, able to relax, able to appreciate life and more. These are the simple things that people suffering from mental illnesses can not enjoy and take pleasure from. 

I hope that this helps you in appreciating mental health a bit more and that the individuals suffering from it are not just putting an act on. 

Mr Amiri