Cricket World Cup 2019

Oh dear, TFH.  

Best keep my mouth shut in future. :mad:

It's just a shambles, wafting at wide ones or get strangled down the leg side. The Aussie bowling isn't bad, it's got a bit of pep but its hardly hooping round corners. The Aussie bats clearly aren't brilliant either, we are just much worse.

When we get beaten by other teams, we "learn lessons" but at least when we get thumped by the Aussies changes - for better or worse - are made. 

Expect big changes by the end of September (except the captain, we don't sack them anymore).

Roy bats lower order in first class cricket,hes got the shots,not the technique.great for one day cricket when theres one slip,not so good when theres a cordon behind you,its a hard new shiny red ball that swings,unlike the white ball that doesnt swing so much.

Good spell from hazelwood but he was hardly bending it round corners,he just pitched it up and shaped it away.

Laberschange & Smith is a frightening prospect.

Hopefully wel promote one or both of Zak Crawley & Dom Sibley,both talented young batsmen.

England need to change their approach of trying to dominate the bowlers,let them burn themselves out over a day,look at how Laberschange has approached his batting,hes left whats not in his zone,waited untill the bowlers bowled 3 or 4 overs and prospered its not a NEW approach,its test cricket FFS!

Edited by staninoodle

2 minutes ago, staninoodle said:

Roy bats lower order in first class cricket,hes got the shots,not the technique.great for one day cricket when theres one slip,not so good when theres a cordon behind you,its a hard new shiny red ball that swings,unlike the white ball that doesnt swing so much.

Good spell from hazelwood but he was hardly bending it round corners,he just pitched it up and shaped it away.

Laberschange & Smith is a frightening prospect.

Hopefully wel promote one or both of Zak Crawley & Dom Sibley,both talented young batsmen

We need to do something a bit radical. We've been bowled for under 100 FOUR times this year. And it's not even finished yet!

Laberschange did have a couple of lives today including the dolly that root dropped. But he's had the entire 4 day county season to get his eye in.

But, fear not the ECB are on the case. Next year we'll see a reworking of the 4 game with more time and money pumped into it, with the very best English coaches at the forefront.

What was that? No, my mistake, the ECB are putting all their energy into a stupid one day jamboree using a format that nobody else uses and all the teams have foreign coaches. 

Hmmm.

Not bad that Stokes fella is he? 😮

Bowled himself into the ground yesterday, then produced an incredible, ashes defining century. We'll never see the like again.

Ladies and gentlemen, Ben stokes.

Quite a good cricket match that. 

Two excellent bowling sides.  Two fragile batting line ups. Two poor captains

But one great match.

Yep great match, unbelievable result..

Funny old game, oh wait a minute.

51 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

Quite a good cricket match that. 

Two excellent bowling sides.  Two fragile batting line ups. Two poor captains

But one great match.

I didn’t really want to pile in but it was a great performance by stokes for two days. Given the fragility and the conditions available on day we should have bundled out the Aussies for 120.  

What concerns me most is that this is used to paper over the huge cracks in the batting line up and we play the same 11. Roy needs to go. He was worth trying after his World Cup efforts but it isn’t working, and denley seemed to give umpteen chances so I’m still not sure on him despite a decent second innings dig. Stokes played a decent test innings knock for half his innings  then an act of genius after that. Bairstow played a daft shot - butler had a bit of a daft run out, it was all a bit muddled.

Im hoping we’ll have a better mindset but I’m not betting on it. I’d like root to move from 3 to 4 and give up the captaincy but he won’t and we don’t have options at 3 or for the captaincy, which is a bit average. 

But still, stokes.....wow.

And jimmy should be back as well, probably under cloudy skies. 

EDIT - highlights now on channel 5.

Edited by tinfoilhat

Root is not aggressive enough or a strong enough character to be captain IMHO, in fact a problem in England's game often over the years has been the lack of aggressive players and their mentality, with the exception of players like Botham, Flintoff, Pietersen, those great Aussie fast bowlers over the years and now Ben Stokes today ….. aggression and determination to go with the ability and you get real match winners !

Greg Baum is one of my favourite Aussie cricket writers. Here is a brilliant article by him, that has just been published by Fairfax media:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/we-can-all-die-happy-now-cricket-doesn-t-get-any-better-than-this-20190826-p52knk.html

Edited by Pettytom

2 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I didn’t really want to pile in but it was a great performance by stokes for two days. Given the fragility and the conditions available on day we should have bundled out the Aussies for 120.  

What concerns me most is that this is used to paper over the huge cracks in the batting line up and we play the same 11. Roy needs to go. He was worth trying after his World Cup efforts but it isn’t working, and denley seemed to give umpteen chances so I’m still not sure on him despite a decent second innings dig. Stokes played a decent test innings knock for half his innings  then an act of genius after that. Bairstow played a daft shot - butler had a bit of a daft run out, it was all a bit muddled.

Im hoping we’ll have a better mindset but I’m not betting on it. I’d like root to move from 3 to 4 and give up the captaincy but he won’t and we don’t have options at 3 or for the captaincy, which is a bit average. 

But still, stokes.....wow.

And jimmy should be back as well, probably under cloudy skies. 

EDIT - highlights now on channel 5.

Watch it Tin Foil, very exciting.