Cricket World Cup 2019

Been looking foreward to this for months and its finally here,most venues are close to sold out for most games.

I watched the opener with SA,we werent totally convincing with the bat,but pulled it back with our bowling,and some superb fielding,Stokes taking a stupendous catch in the deep and fabulous knock and Archers long awaited inclusion bieng the highlites for me,losing Alex Hales will cost us and was massive shot in the foot by the ECB and the player.

I watched Aus today,looked ominous,took it steady and won at a canter,winners for me,saw much of the Windies game as well,they bowled fast and short much of the time but likewise looked impressive against Pakistan.

Its Pakistan up next for us on monday,youd expect us to ease through this game.

New Zealand,another good one day side also blew away Sri lanka,only saw the highlites,but the kiwis looked strong and formidable opponents.

All of which bodes well for cricket lovers this summer to be followed by a late ashes series,summers really here folks

Been pretty good so far. England on paper should stroll it. We've got power, pace, spin, control - it's ours to lose, but we've always got a bad result in us. It could have been against SA but we reigned it in a bit and got a sensible target rather than a big one. But you never know. Australia will be up there, they look good, I think India are semis at best. My dark horse before it started were West Indies. They've got pace, they've power if it all clicks. In the same way England have got a bad performance in them, WI (if everyone is fit) have got two good ones - they've gave us a good test over there.

Can't wait to see more, it's been fun so far. 

I bet woakes looked at the NZ/SL pitch and wished he could drag it round with him. Green? It was a meadow!

Got brought down to earth today,I dont make us favorites,strong one day side,but not the best,the Paks got blown away in their last game,but our bowling was well below par today,and they snuffed out all our match winners,Butler apart,Root did his best to anchor a reply,once more we lack serious threat in the spin department and allowed pak  to amass a huge total.

Missed Hales hed have taken the fight to them

8 hours ago, staninoodle said:

Got brought down to earth today,I dont make us favorites,strong one day side,but not the best,the Paks got blown away in their last game,but our bowling was well below par today,and they snuffed out all our match winners,Butler apart,Root did his best to anchor a reply,once more we lack serious threat in the spin department and allowed pak  to amass a huge total.

Missed Hales hed have taken the fight to them

Agreed the bowlers were below par and we were poor in the field but it could have been turned round if one of the century makers had gone on to make a big score. It's hard to criticise Root and Buttler but how many times do we see English batsmen relax after making  100?

2 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Agreed the bowlers were below par and we were poor in the field but it could have been turned round if one of the century makers had gone on to make a big score. It's hard to criticise Root and Buttler but how many times do we see English batsmen relax after making  100?

Pakistan had lost their last 12 ODIs so Id expected us to win this one,there was word that Morgan may be suspended again for slow over rates? Id have liked to have seen maybe Curran and Plunkett in for an out of touch Moeen and Wood,both offer you a touch more with both bat & ball than those two.

I’d have gone with plunkett over wood and, despite a decent IPL I’d have dropped moeen (although he did bowl well, his batting has been off).  That said, most of the problems were in the field and Roy needs to tinker his approach to spinners first up. Not much to worry about over all.

Gutted for Bangladesh yesterday. I really love their fans all waving huge tigers around!

Aussies 44-4. West Indians giving it old school, fast aggressive bowling.

Love it. The one that got finch was a beauty.

On 06/06/2019 at 11:31, tinfoilhat said:

Aussies 44-4. West Indians giving it old school, fast aggressive bowling.

Love it. The one that got finch was a beauty.

I was at the game, that opening blast from the Windies was terrifying.

Australia didn’t look anything special. If the Windies has kept their heads, they’d have won. 

In the end, a top knock from Coulter Nile and Starc’s bowling got them home.

The England Bangladesh game today wasn’t much of a contest.

Can think of worse matches to watch, I think if Gale hadn't been given out it might have been different. An Aussie side with Smith, Warner and starc will always have a chance, but I still the WI have a chance if it all clicks. 

The Bangladesh game went how I hoped, but Archers first wicket, wow  - that would have got anyone out.

Suprised how easy we won today,Root was OOTW,sublime anchor innings,aided by a good toss to win,and some excellent bowling from Wood,and backed up by Woakes and Archer,with some equally stunning bowling by Root the spin king.

Watching India the other day and they look a class above the rest,hammered the aussies,best side Ive seen so far.

If only we had Alex Hales in the side,what a big miss hes gunna be,such a shame for this WC that couldnt have been sorted out,we miss him bigstyle.

Shame about the weather,lovely english summer

I’m hoping Roy and Morgan will recover but woakes had a really good game with bat and ball which is nice to see. India look a complete package but the Aussies are starting to build up a head of steam. We really need to spank them in the group match. Fourth spot is anybody’s.

A word about reserve days, we need to use them! The last couple of years have been roasting at this time of year so you can’t blame the icc for thinking it should be dry. That said, we should ensure we are getting as many matches played as possible, and if that means using reserve days or whatever it should be done, England - if nothing else - has the infrastructure in place. Up till today, Sri Lanka were fourth and had won one.

Edited by tinfoilhat