Electric oven , hard wired or plug

I am replacing a single under oven. The previous was hard wired. The one I am considering comes with a fitted plug. It is rated 2.4kw.  Can the new one be hard wired and is it safe to do so?   

7 minutes ago, misspedantic said:

I am replacing a single under oven. The previous was hard wired. The one I am considering comes with a fitted plug. It is rated 2.4kw.  Can the new one be hard wired and is it safe to do so?   

Get an electrician.

I will be getting an electrician to fit but i would like to know for definite what is involved before I order the oven .

Is it going where your previous oven was, so wired into the same place? What was the previous oven rated at? Ovens will be wired into their stand alone circuit breaker/ fuse board ( i'm not an electrician by the way) as they are just so energy consuming i.e if you wired it into you normal socket circuit it would just trip the circuit breaker continuously. Usually ovens don't come with a plug, they come with a junction box and the wiring comes from your oven switch to the junction box on the oven. Ask the supplier or don't you know anyone in the trade?

Post a link to the one you are looking at.

Edited by Bash Street

If it comes with a plug it’s fine to plug in  as the oven is rated at around 11amps ...max plugtop load 13amp 

You need to know the load of the oven and what mcb you have protecting  your old wired oven circuit

It’s already stated ... 2.4kw ....divided by ....to make it easy 240v ( nominal 230v ) = 10amps ( 10.4 at 230v ) 

I am considering  an Indesit Aria ifw6330.  The previous oven was an old Baumatic and is now at the council tip. The indesit comes with a plug fitted .I was under the impression that as it is rated less than 3kw it could be fitted either to a plug socket or hard wired into the existing connection.The existing oven is wired to a wall switch and into its own circuit breaker on fuse board.  Forgive me if I am not using the correct terminology.   The shop saleslady  informed me that it cannot be hardwired.

I have read other posts where the same question was asked which sadly degenerated into arguments between other posters.

If it has a non removable plug , it may void any warranty if cut off...

It can be wired to the original oven outlet or change it to a single socket. I easy job. The maximum load for a plug head is 3 kw. Just need to may be change the mcb for a correct rated one

Just change the "wired in faceplate" to a single socket and jobs done. The oven is protected by the fuse in the plug.

Edited by kidneystone

11 hours ago, misspedantic said:

I am considering  an Indesit Aria ifw6330.  The previous oven was an old Baumatic and is now at the council tip. The indesit comes with a plug fitted .I was under the impression that as it is rated less than 3kw it could be fitted either to a plug socket or hard wired into the existing connection.The existing oven is wired to a wall switch and into its own circuit breaker on fuse board.  Forgive me if I am not using the correct terminology.   The shop saleslady  informed me that it cannot be hardwired.

I have read other posts where the same question was asked which sadly degenerated into arguments between other posters.

I had a look at the google reviews and people seem fairly happy with the oven, looks like you can plug it straight in and you're good to go. Whatever socket you use though make sure you only use the oven off of it and don't be tempted to use a double adaptor with other appliances as you could quite easily overload the socket.

The main gripe people have is that it only has one shelf. I can't understand why they didn't realise that before they bought it but there you go.