Filler, Render - that uneven, stippled?, finish?

To anyone who has plenty of experience in this area... I'm planning on filling some gaps in an external wall that has been rendered - patch job, sadly, can't afford to get it all re-done - and was thinking that I'd use some external filler I've got (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0046Q9MIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I can mix this up to just the right texture and apply it fine with a flat knife, sand it and paint it, all fine, but I want to know what people might use to get that kind of semi-raised, stippled, uneven effect that you see on some render finishes?

Would something like this Artex Stipple Brush do me - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Artex-Stipple-Brush-Stippler-Stippling/dp/B00LNCFNUQ/ref=asc_df_B00LNCFNUQ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309912023430&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5987019225536967739&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006496&hvtargid=pla-695976666460&psc=1 or would some kind of textured roller do me better?

The ones I see (rollers) are wood grain effect or flowers or stuff like that which possibly seems to be for home craft and / or artwork?

IIRC a basic paint roller gives a similar stipple effect, i'm sure we used it on artex at some point in the dim and distant past.

Just a bit of warning if you have work to do that you cant reach from the ground you must now have a scaffold . Health  and safety will be  all over you if anybody falls off a ladder 

10 minutes ago, spider1 said:

Just a bit of warning if you have work to do that you cant reach from the ground you must now have a scaffold . Health  and safety will be  all over you if anybody falls off a ladder 

Rightly so in my opinion. Falls from height are the biggest cause of fatal injuries in construction. Nobody should be asked to work in an unsafe way to save somebody else a few quid.

A large part of my working life has been spent on engineering construction sites, and you see all sorts of dangerous acts, and wonder why people choose to do it, for somebody else's benefit. But they do.

Anyway, back on topic.....

12 hours ago, spider1 said:

Not pertinent, in any way (there was no suggestion it was)... please move on to another thread to troll and not add value.

42 minutes ago, Hippogriff said:

Not pertinent, in any way (there was no suggestion it was)... please move on to another thread to troll and not add value.

43 minutes ago, Hippogriff said:

Do not bodge time sent bodging is a waste of time do it properly you will devalue the property . i do not troll i am an experienced builder take heed. ,Take notice what BARGE POLE SAYS 

On 31/05/2019 at 15:35, Hippogriff said:

To anyone who has plenty of experience in this area... I'm planning on filling some gaps in an external wall that has been rendered - patch job, sadly, can't afford to get it all re-done - and was thinking that I'd use some external filler I've got (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0046Q9MIA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) I can mix this up to just the right texture and apply it fine with a flat knife, sand it and paint it, all fine, but I want to know what people might use to get that kind of semi-raised, stippled, uneven effect that you see on some render finishes?

Would something like this Artex Stipple Brush do me - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Artex-Stipple-Brush-Stippler-Stippling/dp/B00LNCFNUQ/ref=asc_df_B00LNCFNUQ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309912023430&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5987019225536967739&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006496&hvtargid=pla-695976666460&psc=1 or would some kind of textured roller do me better?

The ones I see (rollers) are wood grain effect or flowers or stuff like that which possibly seems to be for home craft and / or artwork?

Why not just use sand and cement that will last? Not sure how long filler will last? My other half is a renderer 

1 hour ago, sheffieldliz said:

Why not just use sand and cement that will last? Not sure how long filler will last? My other half is a renderer 

Anyboy  that doesnt kn ow that shouldnt be doing job as your husband well knows 

Edited by spider1