Problem with galaxy S4?

My S4 has started to get hot if left on.

It is also taking longer to boot up than it used to and  needs charging at least every day.

Is it time for a new battery or phone?

new Phone, i'm on an S6 still, and that is now pretty much 4 years old and getting quite slow..... i'm changing asap!

Worth trying a battery swap, can be picked up pretty cheap and a failing one can cause issues, as an S4 mini user I have had similar issues.

If it's getting hot it's an indication an app is malfunctioning and just hogging all the system resources.

Try a factory reset to remove whatever app is at fault, given the age of the phone it's also quite likely the battery is on it's last legs.

Plenty of decent phones in the sub-£200 range.

I used to have an S4 and also had problems with it sometimes getting hot. I found it would often get hot if I left it near something made of metal. A few times it got hot while sitting next to the window on a train, and once it got VERY hot when I was carrying it in the same pocket as a e-cigarette machine. I got rid of the phone as I didn't trust it not to burst into flames one day!

On 31/05/2019 at 14:13, peteh1 said:

Worth trying a battery swap, can be picked up pretty cheap and a failing one can cause issues, as an S4 mini user I have had similar issues.

I would go down the new battery route first they are cheap as chops on E  bay.

@geared, the S4 is an old model but is not necessarily an old phone if you know what I mean. I bought the S5 brand new about 18 months ago. Great phone. 

@davyboy

If you go for another Samsung, it is my usderstanding that the S5 was the last one of the S range whereby you can quickly just swap a battery yourself.

True, I'd forgotten you could do a simple battery replacement on the S4.

I've found batteries from eBay hit and miss in the past, sourcing one from a reputably parts store might get you a quality part?

Worth checking the battery usage to see if it's just a rogue app first, it's free and might solve the problem.