New World Of Football Centre Proposed

9 hours ago, misspedantic said:

Plans are afoot to sell the existing Coach and Horses site for housing. 

I`m guessing / hoping that the actual pub will remain - surely it must be listed....?!

1 hour ago, jemson said:

I`m guessing / hoping that the actual pub will remain - surely it must be listed....?!

Apology for how I worded previous  comment I meant the football  pitch  element of the Coach and Horses  and not the Coach and Horses pub. But then again it's a bit of prime land so if the price was right then Thornbridge Brewery or who ever owns it might sell.  If  Sheffield FC does move  its ground there will be a dramatic  turnover loss for the brewery.

Whilst this is good news for Sheffield FC, it needs to be highlighted what a disgrace the facilities at the Transport Ground have become in recent years. Going back 15-20 years, the football pitches were some of the best in Sheffield. Since then, a lack of care and no doubt funds has seen these once lovely pitches turn into bog standard Sunday league pitches. When Tesco were defeated by local residents years ago, one of the reasons why they lost was the cricket pitch on the site. Once upon a time, it used to be a county standard pitch (it was a lack of parking that prevented Yorkshire from playing there). These days, it is one of the worst in Sheffield. If you are a cricketer, you know how bad that pitch is these days. It is bordering on dangerous.

Those in charge at the Transport ground in recent years should hang their heads in shame. A once great facility has been left to rot. Maybe that was part of the plan to get the land sold.

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 17:02, bassett one said:

Edited by Sport Billy
replied to the same thing twice

well this is the chance to move forward,get sheffield fc back to sheffield,get great facilities for the cricket side and improve everything

on the site,so dont live for the past move on,as it seems this partnership will  be for the benefit for all concerned.it will i presume be

better value for football visitors,better for all football and cricket players,yes i hope they can move forward asap.

It's a great site. The opportunities to create a community stadium is enormous with the surrounding residential areas of Norton, Woodseats, Lowedges, Batemoor, Jordanthorpe, Greenhill and even as far as Bradway.  

If they get it right and if matches are not clashing with the Blades or Wednesday I think they could pull in some decent crowds.  

I'll be sorry to see the old Coach and Horses ground disappear. As a kid growing up on Lowedges in the 1960's we used to often walk over the farmers fields (before the Dronfield by pass was built) to watch matches involving Norton Woodseats who played their home games there. 

For a period of time we were allowed to train with the players (Thursday evenings I think). There was a guy there by the name of Roy(?) Rodgers who seemed to be the secretary or manager.

I recall in the dressing room an obscure framed colour photo of Spurs v. Burnley in the 1962 FA Cup final. 

10 hours ago, Sport Billy said:

Whilst this is good news for Sheffield FC, it needs to be highlighted what a disgrace the facilities at the Transport Ground have become in recent years. Going back 15-20 years, the football pitches were some of the best in Sheffield. Since then, a lack of care and no doubt funds has seen these once lovely pitches turn into bog standard Sunday league pitches. When Tesco were defeated by local residents years ago, one of the reasons why they lost was the cricket pitch on the site. Once upon a time, it used to be a county standard pitch (it was a lack of parking that prevented Yorkshire from playing there). These days, it is one of the worst in Sheffield. If you are a cricketer, you know how bad that pitch is these days. It is bordering on dangerous.

Those in charge at the Transport ground in recent years should hang their heads in shame. A once great facility has been left to rot. Maybe that was part of the plan to get the land sold.

Nice comment re lack of care. I don't see the need to highlight any issue with the ground as  I am sure sheffield FC will probably completely build a fresh pitch.

I think the point you hint on is you can have the best facility in the world but a with a poor playing surface, is a good point.

If football is at a high standard there why not at the same time push for the county teams to ad-hoc use the facility at the same time, surely ycb may invest? However there is little weekend spare capacity so the 2nd pitch is still needed.

Can I just praise the mainly unskilled volunteers that have put themselves out to assist the sports club/paid groundsman, without them the sports fields/playing surfaces would have been worse and in some cases they have ensured games are on.

Ps I am a cricketer and no it's not bordering on dangerous, it was 2 years ago but not now and I'll not bore with details, it's not in great shape but the cricket section do a great job rolling it as often as they can.

No matter what anyone says the facility is still one of the best in Sheffield, it's been unlucky the fact that sports invest in complete new facilities rather than developing current facilities.

I look forward to seeing you all during cricket season.

Re previous comments from Sport Billy and Slacker   I if there is a paid groundsman there , why has the cricket wicket become so poor and is now reliant on volunteers  to prepare it?  It suggests he is either idle or rubbish.

There seems to be an assumption that should  Sheffield  FC's application proceed it will benefit the cricket section . True there will be a groundsman for the football pitch   but will the cricket wicket be looked after.  If a G4 artificial football pitch is laid ,( as has been suggested) the maintenance will be entirely different from that of a cricket strip. 

Not seen anything saying cricket will benefit, just staying,... If you have please point me to it as our members are asking me and fearing the worst. If their is no benefit to the sports club  then why allow sheff FC on it!

A cricket wicket becomes poor after neglect or incorrect maintenance or preparation. 

Note we were kicked out of a league in about 2006, due to the leagues words of it being 'substandard facility'  and the league chose not to help us by communicating with the sports club.

The dangerous issue was when the top soil for the square was full of stones, which make it dangerous! I am sure who looks after the whole site is on the agenda to sort between parties, the whole venue can easily be got back up to spec with a bit of tlc.

Edited by Slacker1969
Typo

As part of this I’d expect the whole site to be looked after and improved, including the cricket facilities. Both the football and cricket facilities are what has made it such a great club down the years and that needs to continue.

Plenty of space to make a great facility for both sports, need not overlap. 500 at match today -  season high!

1 hour ago, jemson said:

500 at match today -  season high!

United & Wednesday not playing due to internationals probably accounted for half the crowd.