A1 North - what is the 'Mount Fuji'?

Bit of information would be interesting for anyone who might use the A1 North (around Ferrybridge in particular).  Travelling up the other day and just to the south of the cooling towers, my passenger noticed a massive mound off to our left (to the west of the carraigeway - maybe 4 or 5 miles distant).  Couldn't look myself - busy with driving at the time.  They said it looked like Yorkshire's own  'Mount Fuji'!

Just for our interest we Google Mapped etc but can't find any trace of it - so presume it's pretty new to the landscape?  

Any information would be welcomed.  Thanks in advance

It's not the big mound of grit that's used for salting the roads in winter?

56 minutes ago, beady said:

Bit of information would be interesting for anyone who might use the A1 North (around Ferrybridge in particular).  Travelling up the other day and just to the south of the cooling towers, my passenger noticed a massive mound off to our left (to the west of the carraigeway - maybe 4 or 5 miles distant).  Couldn't look myself - busy with driving at the time.  They said it looked like Yorkshire's own  'Mount Fuji'!

Just for our interest we Google Mapped etc but can't find any trace of it - so presume it's pretty new to the landscape?  

Hmmm... :huh:

... I think you have quite possibly stumbled upon the headquarters of the European Mole (Talpa Europaea), also known as the Northern Mole.

Having migrated from Europe (via the Channel Tunnel) they have made their way North and are now very common throughout Britain but you rarely see them as they spend almost their entire life underground.

Their ability to tolerate higher levels of carbon dioxide by reusing exhaled air makes them able to survive low oxygen environments such as underground burrows (or indeed, the A1 North around Ferrybridge).

Other than appearing to have a strong disliking of sports (which can be a particular nuisance at Wimbledon or during the cricket and golf seasons) they are completely harmless, so you should stop making a mountain out of a mole hill. :roll:

Could it be a new castle for the 'Knights Hospitaller' who lived at Newland Hall five miles west of Ferrybridge?

Is it something to do with the quarries at Normanton brick works?

1 hour ago, beady said:

Do you mean these? https://goo.gl/maps/waojkSmJyNNVMK9P8

I think it's salt but it never seems to get used...

Theres nothing that would be visible from four or five miles off on the landscape thought - the largest feature would be the opencasting at Swillington but thats not that big and it's not visible from the A1 at ferrbybridge.

16 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Xscape Ski Slope at Castleford?

IT's not visibile there is a low rise from there to the motorway at Ferrybridge.

Nope - it's definitely not the architectural feature of 'molehills' put there when they completed the new junction by the side of the cooling towers - always thought these a strange addition unless they wanted to 'lose' hundreds of tons of limestone?  The Newlands Hall area has definitely got large disruption to the ground as per the satelite view so that could be it?  It's about the right location as well I think.  Must have caused some hole in the ground wherever it is!!  Just glad it's not the moles coming in as mentioned above and anyone who wants to try it as a ski slope is more than welcome?☺️☺️ 

On 30/05/2019 at 11:11, Obelix said:

Theres nothing that would be visible from four or five miles off on the landscape thought - the largest feature would be the opencasting at Swillington but thats not that big and it's not visible from the A1 at ferrbybridge.

The opencasting at Swillington finished long ago..although there is still a relic of the job standing there.....to quote :-

This month we have an article with a similar theme, a lost local industry that has left a landmark on our landscape.

The Bucyrus Erie 1150b walking dragline excavator, or ‘Oddball’ as its affectionately known is preserved at the St. Aidan’s former Opencast site in Swillington.

Oddball has been preserved due to a group of dedicated volunteers known as ‘Friends of St.  Aidan’s BE 1150 Walking Dragline’ who, since 1997 have helped raise money for and given time to its preservation.

http://www.ls26.org.uk/swillingtons-loveable-oddball-landmark/