Why It's Almost Impossible to Solve a Rubik's Cube in Under 3 Seconds

27 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt anyone on the planet could do that!

Having said that, someone did work out the algorithms, so...

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

Also they mention there are more move combinations today, 50+ I think they said. In addition, sometimes an 11 move combo is faster than a 9 move combo (that both achieve the same end result) because the 11 move version is physically quicker to execute.

As far as the 'cheating' goes, I wouldn't say it's cheating at all, certainly not in the way that removing and re-applying all the stickers, or taking apart and reassembling the cube, would be! Also, it would be near impossible to work it our from scratch, without the use of any algorithms / combos. I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt anyone on the planet could do that!

top bold: yes, this is something you notice when doing a lot. After about 3 stages (top completed) I can instantly tell whether it will be quick n easy or a pain. I can't move pieces to the right as easily as to the left (to solve the middle). This can add 30 seconds on to my completion time.

bottom bolds: 1. good! 2. Probably some, but like you say, can't be many.

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

Having said that, someone did work out the algorithms, so...

Yes of course there is that. I assume it was Mr Rubik at first.

Nowadays, computers can probably work out new ones.