Your GP’S appointment system, good or bad ?

17 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

I ring up mid morning, get an appointment that afternoon as long as im not bothered which doctor i see. If i must see a specific doctor for whatever reason it might be a couple days, 5 max.

It's not down to systems - it's not hard, I don't read about vets having long waits for appointments- it's about catchment areas and the number of people on the books. My surgery is excellent But that could change when they throw up a whole load of new houses.

This is the sort of system our doctors had until about 7 or 8 years ago. 

We didn't even have to phone up, just walk in 8:30 - 10:00am & 15:30 to 18:00 Monday to Friday, (Thurs morning only), usually 4 doctors available.  Depending on the day & time of year, even on the busiest days, you'd be seen in just over an hour. 

Strangly, now with the appointments system, you walk in, 4 doctors still available with dedicated appointment times; half a dozen people might be waiting but myself or my wife, when she's visited, have yet to be seen on time & it doesn't appear that doctors are spending more time with patients? 

You still might end up being at the doctors for more than an hour. 

Edited by Baron99

Mosborough Health Centre.  Great staff - medics and reception.

Rang  doctor for an appointment today.  Offered one on 17 July. 37 days, is this normal?

Our GP won't give them out more than two weeks ahead unless they have asked to see you for a follow up.

I use  several methods

1. Phone early (if you can get through)

2. Patient Access App on phone

3. Use drop in, if your surgery has it

4. If you need a follow up visit, book it while in with the GP

And lastly if the above fail and it's urgent... I just say, "ok, well i'm ill today, send a doctor out" This last one has a magical effect on the appointment book, it seems to make spaces!! I can't remember the last time I had to use this one.

My surgery is fairly good going by some comments on here. There's a drop in every day and bookings are anything from 3-14 days. They won't book over 14 days.

On 30/05/2019 at 06:58, Halibut said:

I've no idea. Haven't tried to make an appointment for over 20 years.

Well how great to be you. 

5 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Well how great to be you. 

Yeah, it's pretty good.

GP surgery's  are clogged up with idiots with minor ailments that their local pharmacist could have sorted them out with.

Edited by Dontquoteme