Best and worst TV series endings.

On 29/05/2019 at 00:31, Jim Hardie said:

The manner of Tony Soprano's demise has to be the biggest cop out ever. What a let down.

Agree.  So open-ended.  Did he & his family all die in that restaurant?  We'll never know?  The show wasn't cancelled so I'm guessing that it might have come back a few years later because it still had legs & having had his immediate mafia members wiped out, he'd have to start again.  But of course, James Gandolfini died in 2013. 

How time's passed, the last episode was in 2007 but I got the full box set of all the episodes a few years ago & rewatch every couple of years. 

Good news is that I read last year that there are plans to do a Soprano's prequel with Gandolfini's son playing the young Tony, how he rose to power, his relationship with his dad & why he turned out like he did. 

Edited by Baron99

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Agree.  So open-ended.  Did he & his family all die in that restaurant?  We'll never know?  The show wasn't cancelled so I'm guessing that it might have come back a few years later because it still had legs & having had his immediate mafia members wiped out, he'd have to start again.  But of course, James Gandolfini died in 2013. 

How time's passed, the last episode was in 2007 but I got the full box set of all the episodes a few years ago & rewatch every couple of years. 

Good news is that I read last year that there are plans to do a Soprano's prequel with Gandolfini's son playing the young Tony, how he rose to power, his relationship with his dad & why he turned out like he did. 

A bit like Godfather part 2 eh?

3 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Also had one of the best theme tunes, 'Woke Up This Morning'; (Alabama 3 - (funny enough an English band)) & best opening titles, from central New York, out to the sticks of New Jersey.  Brilliant! 

Best & most conclusive endings;

M*A*S*H

The original 'Roots'. 

Edited by Baron99

Got to agree with the OP for me. Lost & Dexter are the two worst finales that spring to mind.

Thought Mad Dogs was brilliant but the ending was dreadful.

Best endings; the recent Gavin & Stacey, The Sopranos, M.A.S.H. Hill Street Blues, Buffy, Glitch (where else could they go?) - All genuine classic goodbyes.

Worst: well, all the usual suspects really. The cruel cancelation of Firefly, the ambiguous, hopeless, final episode of Lost, Doc Martin from the back end of last year (if it has gone), and I thought the last ever Mad About You was a let-down too.

9 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Best endings; the recent Gavin & Stacey, The Sopranos, M.A.S.H. Hill Street Blues, Buffy, Glitch (where else could they go?) - All genuine classic goodbyes.

Worst: well, all the usual suspects really. The cruel cancelation of Firefly, the ambiguous, hopeless, final episode of Lost, Doc Martin from the back end of last year (if it has gone), and I thought the last ever Mad About You was a let-down too.

I ended up watching the last couple of episodes of Lost recently and I thought it was brill. Confusing, yes, maybe a bit pretentious but I still loved it.

I'm adding Castle to the list, in fact the whole final series was a dogs breakfast that the lovely stana Katic did not deserve!

Finished the last episode of 'Temple' this morning. VERY good mini-series. Don't think it needs another one. I like how they left it. I know they're professional actors, but when the guy got shot in the foot I winced, and his reaction was about as real as anything I've ever seen on tv. Sorry to get to the end. I love spiraling-out-of-control-slowly shows. The tension was amazing. I hope the makers leave it at that.

20 hours ago, wearysmith said:

Best endings; the recent Gavin & Stacey,

I can't even recall the ending of the Xmas special, it was so poor.

Now, if you're talking about the proper ending of Season 3 where Gavin, Stacey, Nessa, and  Smithy  are all at the beach at Barry Island, then yes. 

article-2181033-009B684F000004B0-593_634

14 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

I can't even recall the ending of the Xmas special, it was so poor.

Now, if you're talking about the proper ending of Season 3 where Gavin, Stacey, Nessa, and  Smithy  are all at the beach at Barry Island, then yes. 

article-2181033-009B684F000004B0-593_634

No, I'm taking of last year's Xmas episode. Far from poor, thought it was one of the best they've ever done. In fact, I don't want any more as it'll dilute a marvellous ending. Worth it for the 'Fairy Tale Of New York' segment alone. Comedy gold.

24, I don't think I’ll ever forgive Keifer Sutherland for not giving Jack a happy ending.

Worse ending or none ending - FLASH FORWARD.

Having read the book I was extremely interested in how they were going to keep loyal to the books amazing ending.

Answer they didn't, they ended the series early. :cry: