Best and worst TV series endings.

As per title. Game of thrones got a bit of pasting (I thought it was ok) but are there any other tv show endings that you thought were good/bad.

Can some shows even get a good ending? GoT biggest problem was that nobody wanted it to end, and it was a story that could have run for years.

Anyway, first of Dexter. Shockingly bad. Second, Lost. Controversial, I rather liked it. Didn't really understand it, but I liked it. 

My pick for worst would be Marcella, a ton of loose ends. Bound to be another season, imo. Another one would be Rebellion, but I think that the ending was maybe emphasising that the Irish problems have never really gone away, even today it is a very fragile accord that can erupt all over again. Maybe I am seeing more than I need to here though, lol.

For a good ending I would pick Bodyguard, totally unexpected ride off into the sunset with the wife and kids. 

Edited by Ontarian1981

As someone who until recently thought that Game of Thrones was a computer game I shall pass on that and cast my vote for the last series of Blackadder.

4 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

As per title. Game of thrones got a bit of pasting (I thought it was ok) but are there any other tv show endings that you thought were good/bad.

Can some shows even get a good ending? GoT biggest problem was that nobody wanted it to end, and it was a story that could have run for years.

Anyway, first of Dexter. Shockingly bad. Second, Lost. Controversial, I rather liked it. Didn't really understand it, but I liked it. 

Fargo has to be the worst endings but I suspect I feel that way as I have trouble coming to terms when it finishes. Can't wait for season 4 which starts filming at the end of 2019.

Edited by Bash Street

Just to broaden the topic a little, i.e. how to become a British MP>watch the last episode of Peaky Blinders. :o

The manner of Tony Soprano's demise has to be the biggest cop out ever. What a let down.

Pretty Little Liars was always fantastically preposterous, but going full-on twin mode (and with a dodgy British accent) for the finale was just lazy.

Can't think of a show that's had a really satisfying ending.  Most formerly excellent ones have ended with a whimper, a few seasons too late.  Possibly Buffy. 

4 hours ago, Hecate said:

Pretty Little Liars was always fantastically preposterous, but going full-on twin mode (and with a dodgy British accent) for the finale was just lazy.

Can't think of a show that's had a really satisfying ending.  Most formerly excellent ones have ended with a whimper, a few seasons too late.  Possibly Buffy. 

Funnily enough I was going to mention Buffy. Proper ending, no openness but a thick, satisfying line drawn through it. 

Watched sharp objects and enjoyed it very much but it was ruined by what I can only describe as full on fist fight in the editing suite in the last minute.

6 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

Funnily enough I was going to mention Buffy. Proper ending, no openness but a thick, satisfying line drawn through it. 

Watched sharp objects and enjoyed it very much but it was ruined by what I can only describe as full on fist fight in the editing suite in the last minute.

Oh yes Sharp Objects... what were they thinking by putting out a major twist to the story like that?!

Dexter already mentioned although the last few season of that were fairly poor.

I've always thought that the ending of The Shield wasn't that good. Pretty unsatisfying.

The West Wing. The whole Toby storyline was disrespectful of such a great character. Also they really should have ended it with the electoral victory but they decided to carry on a few episodes to show Josh having a nervous breakdown as Chief of Staff.

Best endings? The Wire. The 5th season wasn't great but the way they ended it had me grinning from ear to ear, especially Jimmy's 'wake' and the redemption of Bubbles.

Babylon 5. Season 5 was almost entirely bad but the very last episode (filmed during Season 4 and it showed) was superb.

MASH had a great ending too. Super poignant to watch Hawkeye saying goodbye to his best friend, knowing they'd probably never see each other again, and BJ refusing to say it, saying that they might meet up back in the States. Then the chopper takes off and you see BJ has spelt out GOODBYE in rocks on the ground...

I thought the end sequence of Sons of Anarchy was amazing.

2 hours ago, nikki-red said:

I thought the end sequence of Sons of Anarchy was amazing.

Going back a bit but the way they ended The Temptations was really good.After Otis Williams has just been to the funeral of the last of his fellow bandmates, it goes to a surrealistic scene of the whole band in their prime, singing My Girl in an empty theatre. Really touching.

Edited by Ontarian1981

My favourite ending to any TV show is probably Blackadder goes forth, More recently the end of Still game (Scottish sitcom for anyone who has never seen it) a few weeks ago was done brilliantly and left a lump in my throat for a while when all the old characters I’d been watching for 15+ years just faded away and died.