Banks to refund some scam victims.

Well, @petemcewan - I've been on the internet since ~1992 when I bought my first (expensive) home PC,  and apart from two email hacks - both at 'the other end',  I've not suffered any loss or intrusion.

Mind you, although I admit to having both Facebook and Twitter accounts, they are never used to publish anything about me, merely being used to access the accounts of those of friends or family that don't use other means of communication. All online accounts have their own unique passwords, and emails from unknown sources are checked before downloading - or discarding if they are suspicious.

In other words, you are your own gatekeeper.

Rolling J.

I don't have a facebook account and I never intend to have one.

But someone emailed me and said they have my email address and password. The password they gave was an old one -no longer being used by me. Now how did they get that? 

I  try to be protective of my personal details. I don't have online banking or telephone banking. I'm not on FaceBook or Twitter.  But I use my debit card to pay for things-That information is then collected. 

When I booked into the Midland Hotel in Manchester they wanted my email address.

Every B and B under the sun wants your personal details. 

It was discovered-not so long ago in Scotland-that a group of petrol stations were selling on customers card details to organised crime. 

One may be one's own gatekeeper. But your personal details are out there waiting for some bunch of criminals to target you. No matter how clever a person thinks they are at their own security, the crims are ahead of you.

Today I had an email telling me there's $10 million waiting for me to collect! We live in crazy times. There isn't any security that cannot be breached by organised crime.

One will be better off taking all your cash out of the bank and buying a safe -installing it at home- and sticking your money in it -so it goes.

Edited by petemcewan

I understand what you are saying, but I ask again - apart from that email, have ever suffered any loss?  Unfortunately,  email addresses/passwords do get hacked, but as you found, these are often from long-dead sources, and of little use. Did the organisation you used that email/password combination for suffer an attack?

I use online banking, and have done for many years, with the same bank, branch and account and never had any problems. I also use online shopping  quite extensively, so have accounts with a large number of companies - again all without issue for a long time.

I too use my debit card for the majority of 'real-world' purchases too - again without any issue and I have no unwanted attention from any of the establishments I have used.

If I encountered the situation you did at the Midland Hotel, I would ask why they needed it, then politely decline to supply it.

Yes, I suppose your personal details are 'out there', but have you, or anyone you know personally , ever actually suffered loss?

25 years on, I have never had a real problem - yes, the occasional spate of dodgy emails from sources using random snooping techniques, but they are so obviously fake they get ignored - not even retrieved from the server.

So again - have you ever been a victim?

RollingJ.

There's some sound advice in your thread so thank you.

The email supplier is hotmail. I do not know if they have ever been hacked.

I shall certainly follow your advice,vis-a-vis giving out my email address to retailers.

I was scammed for £1000 by some tow rags in London. They got my debit card details and ran up a Grand on taxi fares round Lambeth and Wandsworth. I got the money..

refunded thankfully.

I now do use online shopping-but the whole thing makes me nervous.

10 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

RollingJ.

There's some sound advice in your thread so thank you.

The email supplier is hotmail. I do not know if they have ever been hacked.

I shall certainly follow your advice,vis-a-vis giving out my email address to retailers.

I was scammed for £1000 by some tow rags in London. They got my debit card details and ran up a Grand on taxi fares round Lambeth and Wandsworth. I got the money..

refunded thankfully.

I now do use online shopping-but the whole thing makes me nervous.

Yes, Hotmail did suffer a breach - don't know when, now, but I remember when it happened, all affected users were advised of what action they needed to take. You can, of course, close an address you think may have been compromised, and open another.

I won't ask how they got your debit card details, but yes, that must have been distressing.

As to online shopping, if you stick to well-known sites, or retailers you trust, you should be reasonably safe - I'm not saying nothing will ever go wrong, but I've never had a problem.

20 hours ago, petemcewan said:

Ok , one should be vigilant. But it seems that the scammers are always one step ahead of the security systems. Then,of course, there's insider collusion with organised crime to gather up personal details and use it to defraud /scam people out of their money.

I watched a programme where an elderly  person explained how she was scammed out of her life savings. She explained that the scammers presented as completely legit. She had no way of telling that they were not kosher. She got her money back in the end.

I was recently scammed out of £1000 . How it occurs I have no idea. My debt card had been used to pay for £1000 worth of taxi journeys in London. My debit card stays on my person up until I use it to pay for things.

I am now very nervous about using my card and have gone back to using cash.

A large proportion of scamming is undertaken by organised crime-and there appears to be no way of stopping the scammers and bringing them to justice.

We now live in a society where we make a card payment for almost every purchase we make. All that data is gathered up  and organised crime seems to be getting access to it.

That's not a scam.  The activities we're discussing here are social engineering tricks, most likely you've had you card cloned at some point.  Presumably the bank will refund you since you can show that you weren't in London and didn't make those transactions.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

I understand what you are saying, but I ask again - apart from that email, have ever suffered any loss?  Unfortunately,  email addresses/passwords do get hacked, but as you found, these are often from long-dead sources, and of little use. Did the organisation you used that email/password combination for suffer an attack?

I use online banking, and have done for many years, with the same bank, branch and account and never had any problems. I also use online shopping  quite extensively, so have accounts with a large number of companies - again all without issue for a long time.

I too use my debit card for the majority of 'real-world' purchases too - again without any issue and I have no unwanted attention from any of the establishments I have used.

If I encountered the situation you did at the Midland Hotel, I would ask why they needed it, then politely decline to supply it.

Yes, I suppose your personal details are 'out there', but have you, or anyone you know personally , ever actually suffered loss?

25 years on, I have never had a real problem - yes, the occasional spate of dodgy emails from sources using random snooping techniques, but they are so obviously fake they get ignored - not even retrieved from the server.

So again - have you ever been a victim?

Someone tried to charge about £700 to a pre load foreign transaction credit card on my visa.  I spotted it fairly quickly and HSBC refunded it without any major hassle and issued a new card.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

That's not a scam.  The activities we're discussing here are social engineering tricks, most likely you've had you card cloned at some point. 

Exactly.

My bank card was cloned a few years back to the tune of £3.5K. The money had been taken out in weird sums like £744.51 or 745.19. The bank had the money back in my account within 24 hours but refused to give me any information about why, why, what, where or when which I believe is standard practice in any bank fraud.

A very clever friend of mine looked at the dates and amounts and worked out that the amounts were all equivalent to $1000 Singapore on the days in question which  meant that the fraud was carried out in the far East. As the same card was used to buy petrol at Sheffield Costco an hour after one of these tranactions, I assume that my bank was fairly sure that I was not in Sheffield and Singapore at the same time.

I was very lucky. I've heard some horror stories of people waiting months to get their money back after a card cloning incident.

Top Cats Hat,

The fraud you are describing seems to be on a global scale. I can see the day that the banks will no longer refund the money.

5 minutes ago, petemcewan said:

Top Cats Hat,

The fraud you are describing seems to be on a global scale. I can see the day that the banks will no longer refund the money.

They will have to.

The contract a bank has with you is that they look after your money in exchange for allowing them to use it to make money themselves.

If they lose your money then they have no choice but to give it back to you unless you agree to a new contract with them which absolves them from any responsibility.

Top Cats Hat,

That's comforting to know.

On 02/06/2019 at 23:53, petemcewan said:

Top Cats Hat,

Unless they can show that the account owner was at fault then they can't just choose not to.  There are quite clearly legal issues involved here.  A contract as TCH said, but I suspect that criminal law also applies.

If they allow a 3rd party to steal some money (not your money per se, it's just 'some') and then attribute that loss to you, the bank have in effect stolen from you.