Pubs with a brewery next door?

Guest makapaka
29 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Isn't beer relatively cheaper these days than it used to be?

Is it? In relation to earnings or what?

i can’t see how alcohol increases have kept in line with earnings.

its trebled in 20 years.

Edited by Janus

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

It is in overall terms BUT......

the difference between pub and supermarket prices has widened to the point where something like a pint of a branded beer in a pub can be three times the price of a pint bottle of that same beer in a supermarket.

So buying a pint in a pub is proportionately more expensive than it was in the old days whereas buying a pint in a supermarket is proportionately cheaper than it was in the old days but overall, alcohol has got cheaper.

Guest makapaka
44 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It is in overall terms BUT......

the difference between pub and supermarket prices has widened to the point where something like a pint of a branded beer in a pub can be three times the price of a pint bottle of that same beer in a supermarket.

So buying a pint in a pub is proportionately more expensive than it was in the old days whereas buying a pint in a supermarket is proportionately cheaper than it was in the old days but overall, alcohol has got cheaper.

I was just thinking from a pub perspective I agree supermarket drink has got cheaper.

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Well if you can get it cheaper than 7p a pint, go for it.lol.Just kidding but that was the price of a pint when I started out, one and fivepence in old money.

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Dunno - when I had a job in a stores / warehouse in the mid 70's I brought home about £15 per week and beer was 15p a pint. The cost of pint has gone up nigh on twentyfold but wouldn't think the sort of job I did brings home anything like £300 pw.

Housing also used to take up a much smaller proportion of peoples income.

22 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Dunno - when I had a job in a stores / warehouse in the mid 70's I brought home about £15 per week and beer was 15p a pint. The cost of pint has gone up nigh on twentyfold but wouldn't think the sort of job I did brings home anything like £300 pw.

Housing also used to take up a much smaller proportion of peoples income.

For the record its close enough.    Such level of work likely to be on NMW rate in 2019 amounts to £307 a week  (£277 after tax).

Edited by ECCOnoob

On 26/05/2019 at 16:06, Top Cats Hat said:

If you want to support a local brewery pub, go to the Nags Head in Loxley which is owned by the Bradfield Brewery and sells all the beers in their range for £2 a pint.

FYI,  it's been £2:50 a pint for about 9 months now, but it is quality beer and well worth it.

anyone remember when you used to pay two different prices for the same beer in the same pub? best sides always charged a penny more than the tap side

29 minutes ago, banjodeano said:

anyone remember when you used to pay two different prices for the same beer in the same pub? best sides always charged a penny more than the tap side

Yeah that was pretty common back in the day.My first local was the Atlas Hotel in Brinsworth.This pub was one of a few that was a free house.The tap room was always a penny cheaper than anywhere else in the pub.

Aside from the tap room , there was a lounge , a concert room and you could also stand at the bar in the large foyer if you were only in for a quick 'un.

Edited by Ontarian1981

2 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Yeah that was pretty common back in the day.My first local was the Atlas Hotel in Brinsworth.This pub was one of a few that was a free house.The tap room was always a penny cheaper than anywhere else in the pub.

Aside from the tap room , there was a lounge , a concert room and you could also stand at the bar in the large foyer if you were only in for a quick 'un.

my dad always used to tell me that the penny was for the staff that once used to serve you at your table, save you going to the bar, and the penny tradition was carried on from there

The old Wicker Brewery  -nickname Hole in the Wall- on Savile Street had  a 'brewery' next to it but that place  only brewed  (distilled) vinegar.

Edited by St Petre
add