Pubs with a brewery next door?

I know of a local Sam Smith's pub. Even with  the overheads of trasporting beer from brewery to pub, the beer is £2 per  pint. This seems to be below the average  price of most pubs, but probably not all.

How much would a pint  of beer be  if the brewery was next to the pub? How many pubs have a brewery next door? Does this reflect the  price at the bar greatly? Or, does it only massively reduce the production costs of the beer and only marginally reflect the retail price at the bar?

The price of a pint is determined by drinks prices locally and has nothing to do with delivery costs. (unless it is in a bar in Reykjavik.) In my experience pubs and bars next to breweries tend to overprice their beer. A pint of Old Peculiar in the Theakstons pub in Masham idearer there than anywhere I've ever seen it. That presumably is because Masham is a twee touristy town with high prices.

If you want to support a local brewery pub, go to the Nags Head in Loxley which is owned by the Bradfield Brewery and sells all the beers in their range for £2 a pint.

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

The price of a pint is determined by drinks prices locally and has nothing to do with delivery costs.

I didn't know that.

The Albert, the (sadly now demolished) "brewery tap" for Brains beers in Cardiff always used to charge the same as all the other Brains pubs in the city and surrounding area.

I think when breweries had a lot of tied pubs then they usually charged the same in all their pubs.

Was it the breweries that actually set the price?

When they had tied houses I'm pretty sure prices were much of a muchness throughout a breweries pubs - might have been a couple of pence more in "posher" parts where presumably rates were higher.

2 minutes ago, Longcol said:

I think when breweries had a lot of tied pubs then they usually charged the same in all their pubs.

When I first started drinking there was a lot more harmonisation of pub prices, probably because that is where most drinking was done and it was a huge market. A pint of bitter was never more than a couple of pence different wherever you went. The pint of Bradfield Farmers Blonde for £2.00 I mentioned earlier in Loxley is £4.65 four miles away in Wentworth. That is 132.5% more expensive.

I don't think that there was that kind of difference in the old days. The last time I was in London a pint of Guinness was £7.60 and that was not in Central London, that was in Camden Town. Mind you, I am watching the Monaco Gand Prix at the moment and the last time I was in Monaco I did a pub crawl around the circuit and was paying on average £26 for a pint of crap lager! 😵😳😱😶

Ladys Bridge. :lol:

3 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Ladys Bridge. :lol:

Yes, that had the Whitbread brewery right there. Even Gold Label was on draught there, supposedly pumped direct from the brewery. But in answer to the OP, I don't recall any difference in price in there than in other pubs in the area. 

6 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Yes, that had the Whitbread brewery right there. Even Gold Label was on draught there, supposedly pumped direct from the brewery. But in answer to the OP, I don't recall any difference in price in there than in other pubs in the area. 

In those days  no one had to take out a second mortgage to have a good night out so I dont think people were attracted to different pubs by competative prices like today.  IE. Yates, Witherspoons ect.

No longer there now, the Rutland Hotel next to the Cannon Brewery (Stones) Neepsend Lane, nice pint too.

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

In those days  no one had to take out a second mortgage to have a good night out so I dont think people were attracted to different pubs by competative prices like today.  IE. Yates, Witherspoons ect.

Isn't beer relatively cheaper these days than it used to be?