Arden's builder's (Spital Hill).

Any one recall/work for Arden's builders of Spital Hill ?

Rememb

Spoiler

Remember them but youre talking a long time ago here prob 1975 if i am correct

6 hours ago, spider1 said:

Rememb

Reveal spoiler

Remember them but youre talking a long time ago here prob 1975 if i am correct

I think they were still going into the early 90s, a pal of mine from years ago used to work for them-Ken Longley- mostly at Union Carbide, Claywheels Lane.

On 25/05/2019 at 20:21, St Petre said:

Any one recall/work for Arden's builders of Spital Hill ?

what year are we talking about ?

1 minute ago, kidley said:

Late 1960s and later.

4 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Late 1960s and later.

i thought i new spital hill like the back of my hand, whereabouts was it  

I worked for Ardans I served my time there in the 60s as a joiner there address was spiral hill but the office was on Hallcar  street they  only seemed to work in firms they didn’t do many houses they were in Sheffield smelting co prestos achasons claywheels lane it was a good firm to work for I left in 1974 I know Ken Longley  John Halliday and many more great blokes Ardens were on the go in in the 90s from the the same place but I think they just kept the name 

4 hours ago, Bygum said:

I worked for Ardans I served my time there in the 60s as a joiner there address was spiral hill but the office was on Hallcar  street they  only seemed to work in firms they didn’t do many houses they were in Sheffield smelting co prestos achasons claywheels lane it was a good firm to work for I left in 1974 I know Ken Longley  John Halliday and many more great blokes Ardens were on the go in in the 90s from the the same place but I think they just kept the name 

Yes Bygum as you say the offices were on Spital Hill (above Laycock's jeweler's) and the entrance was around the corner on Hallcar Street. Also in the same premises was the Margaret Arden school of dancing.

No the office was on Hallcar street below the corner shop and Mrs Fords house not above the jewellers that’s the dance studio who’s door was on Spital Hill between laycocks and a fruit and veg shop Jack Arden had a brown Bristol car convertible then stocks bookies across the street then a pub on the corner and the album at the top of the street 

20 minutes ago, Bygum said:

No the office was on Hallcar street below the corner shop and Mrs Fords house not above the jewellers that’s the dance studio who’s door was on Spital Hill between laycocks and a fruit and veg shop Jack Arden had a brown Bristol car convertible then stocks bookies across the street then a pub on the corner and the album at the top of the street 

20 minutes ago, Bygum said:

Yes, got myself a bit disoriented there and you are right. The pubs were the Albion (Earsham Street-Hallcar Street) and the Guards Rest (Hallcar Street-Sorby Street).

St Peter 3 off the Longley brothers worked at Ardens at one time Kenny Brian and Derick I think he went carpet fitting they all worked at Achasons on Claywheels Lane kenny worked for ardens shut up did you work for them ps I think jimmy sweeny did as well for a bit 

1 hour ago, Bygum said:

t Peter 3 off the Longley brothers worked at Ardens at one time Kenny Brian and Derick I think he went carpet fitting they all worked at Achasons on Claywheels Lane kenny worked for ardens shut up did you work for them ps I think jimmy sweeny did as well for a bit 

No, I worked for another contracting firm at Union Carbide (Acho's), that's how I knew Ken, Brian and Jack Cadman. I had known Ken from my visits to the Harlequin pub-the Stanley Street one- I think Ken lives at Wincobank now. I also knew Stuart Bell but he worked for Arden's mostly at Sheffield Smelting Co.

Edited by St Petre
add