Who next for Tory Leader/PM?

11 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

What nonsense. Won't even begin discussing that one.

For all the rethoric in the post, there’s a lot of truth underlying it.

If the last 2 referenda (electoral reform, EU membership) show anything, it’s that Brits are not sufficiently mature, politically, to have more referenda put to them.

The time to Google ‘What is the EU?’ is not the day after the referendum. It’s in the late primary or early secondary school curriculum, or weeks before the referendum if you need a refresher (allowing time to dig further, if and as need be).

Your constitutional principles are also clearly unfit for purpose, by modern day standards. That goes directly to the matter of managing the aftermath of referenda.

Edited by L00b

22 minutes ago, L00b said:

If the last 2 referenda (electoral reform, EU membership) show anything, it’s that Brits are not sufficiently mature, politically, to have more referenda put to them.

The time to Google ‘What is the EU?’ is not the day after the referendum. It’s in the late primary or early secondary school curriculum, or weeks before the referendum if you need a refresher (allowing time to dig further, if and as need be).

Your constitutional principles are also clearly unfit for purpose, by modern day standards. That goes directly to the matter of managing the aftermath of referenda.

Fewer than 1000 people searched 'What is the EU?'. They could well have been children. I don't think you can use that as evidence of anything.. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/06/27/were-brits-really-googling-what-is-the-eu-after-voting-to-leave/

1 hour ago, Lockdoctor said:

The 17.4m can't be blamed for exercising their democratic right to choose which box to tick on a ballot paper.

They voted for a series of vague promises, mostly easily proven lies, from people with no serious plan and some of who (Farage) were not in any position to deliver on them... Of course some of the blame lies with the 17.4m!

Over 550 MPs voted in favour of holding the 2016 EU referendum.

*Before* Cameron promised it would be binding!

Most likely, they wouldn't have done if they'd had any notion that Cameron was going to go back on everything that was agree'd as a condition for the the vote to take place at all.

Edited by Magilla

6 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Fewer than 1000 people searched 'What is the EU?'. They could well have been children. I don't think you can use that as evidence of anything.. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/06/27/were-brits-really-googling-what-is-the-eu-after-voting-to-leave/

It’s not evidence, it’s hyperbole to underline the point.

Hard truths be told, I’d expect educated adult voters  to Google far more detailed/precise questions about the EU, than “what it is”, and adult voters needing to Google “what is the EU” as proving bendix’ own hyperbole.

Edited by L00b

31 minutes ago, L00b said:

Well, I don't share your view of our country.

Since you are speaking in the third person as an outsider looking in and down at us, from a much superior position, would you also think it appropriate the simpletons are allowed a vote in general for MPs, or should that also be left to those who know better?

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

It’s not evidence, it’s hyperbole to underline the point.

Hard truths be told, I’d expect educated adult voters  to Google far more detailed/precise questions about the EU, than “what it is”, and adult voters needing to Google “what is the EU” as proving bendix’ own hyperbole.

They probably did. I'm not sure how that underlined any point. 

4 minutes ago, Magilla said:

(...)

*Before* Cameron promised it would be binding!

Most likely, they wouldn't have done if they'd had any notion that Cameron was going to go back on everything that was agree'd for the vote to take place!

There was nothing binding in the 2015 EU referendum act, and Cameron’s after-the-event word was even less binding than a manifesto pledge (because the 2015 manifesto pledge was to negotiate with the EU, then hold the referendum, not to implement its outcome).

6 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Well, I don't share your view of our country.

Since you are speaking in the third person as an outsider looking in and down at us, from a much superior position, would you also think it appropriate the simpletons are allowed a vote in general for MPs, or should that also be left to those who know better?

It’s a free world, disagree all you want. More work required from you to bring me towards your point of view all the same.

I’ve already long replied to that particular question of yours numerous times in other threads over the years, with a consistent view. The right to vote shouldn’t be restricted, in fact it should be enlarged, and better responsibilised.

Feel free to use the search function, and then you can drop the faux outrage act 👍

Just now, L00b said:

It’s a free world, disagree all you want. More work required from you to bring me towards your point of view all the same.

I’ve already long replied to that particular question of yours numerous times in other threads over the years, with a consistent view. The right to vote shouldn’t be restricted, in fact it should be enlarged, and better responsibilised.

Feel free to use the search function, and then you can drop the faux outrage act 👍

I'm not outraged, and not showing any faux outrage. I don't like your opinion of Uk citizens, however they voted. In fact the more posts you make like that, the more I'm convinced that leaving was the right decision.

2 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

I'm not outraged, and not showing any faux outrage. I don't like your opinion of Uk citizens, however they voted. In fact the more posts you make like that, the more I'm convinced that leaving was the right decision.

Do you get as convinced that “leaving was the right decision” when British posters like bendix make the same point?

1 minute ago, L00b said:

Do you get as convinced that “leaving was the right decision” when British posters like bendix make the same point?

Yes. You can see my reply to that poster.

1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

What nonsense. Won't even begin discussing that one.

Have you ever spoken to the public, received emails from them or listened to them on phone ins? We are all morons. May be the Swiss are morons too, I don't know.