Who next for Tory Leader/PM?

10 hours ago, Waldo said:

Anyone else less than enthusiastic about the prospect of Boris Johnson being the next PM?

I don't like him.

Last year people were saying that the contenders for the role, didn't want it yet, they wanted May to sort Brexit first; only then would they put their names forward.

What has changed? Boris has implied that he will leave without a deal, so many MPs will not vote for him.

He is deliberately making himself unelectable for the role.

14 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Last year people were saying that the contenders for the role, didn't want it yet, they wanted May to sort Brexit first; only then would they put their names forward.

What has changed? Boris has implied that he will leave without a deal, so many MPs will not vote for him.

He is deliberately making himself unelectable for the role.

Boris has implied the UK will leave the EU with or without a deal on 31st October.  Boris has argued the  backstop in the current withdrawal agreement needs to be removed. It is ludicrous to rule out  a no deal Brexit when you are negotiating with the EU because in doing so there is no  incentive for them to move their position.

If Boris does make it on to the shortlist of two candidates for the Tory leadership it will be mainly because the Tory MPs who support him think he is the best person to lead them to victory in the next General Election.  Boris has a good track record in winning elections which is proved by becoming Mayor of London twice in a city  which the Labour Party wins most seats in a General Election.

Edited by Lockdoctor

17 minutes ago, Lockdoctor said:

Boris has implied the UK will leave the EU with or without a deal on 31st October.  Boris has argued the  backstop in the current withdrawal agreement needs to be removed. It is ludicrous to rule out  a no deal Brexit when you are negotiating with the EU because in doing so there is no  incentive for them to move their position.

If Boris does make it on to the shortlist of two candidates for the Tory leadership it will be mainly because the Tory MPs who support him think he is the best person to lead them to victory in the next General Election.  Boris has a good track record in winning elections which is proved by becoming Mayor of London twice in a city  which the Labour Party wins most seats in a General Election.

That was the liberal, pro-EU Boris who argued Turkey should be allowed to join the EU in a TV programme he made.

There wasn't a British citizen in an Iranian gaol because of his stupidity then.

It wasn't so obvious that Boris is only interested in what's good for Boris at that time.

The Tory party may be fooled by him, the general public won't be.

If memory serves, Boris, as foreign secretary, signed off the back stop.

Part of me wants him to get it. That same part of me wants him to bring farage into negotiations, then watch as they both fail so spectacularly that their brand of divisive, populist is banished for decades.

If hunt gets it - I think he will - it's just more soulless, useless grey ineptitude and 3 more years of going nowhere.

3 minutes ago, altus said:

That was the liberal, pro-EU Boris who argued Turkey should be allowed to join the EU in a TV programme he made.

There wasn't a British citizen in an Iranian gaol because of his stupidity then.

It wasn't so obvious that Boris is only interested in what's good for Boris at that time.

The Tory party may be fooled by him, the general public won't be.

I don't disagree with what you have written.  

The leader of the  Labour  Party is Jeremy Corbyn  and the general public might well decide to keep Boris Johnson as Prime Minister rather than risk giving the job to Corbyn.

6 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

If memory serves, Boris, as foreign secretary, signed off the back stop.

Part of me wants him to get it. That same part of me wants him to bring farage into negotiations, then watch as they both fail so spectacularly that their brand of divisive, populist is banished for decades.

If hunt gets it - I think he will - it's just more soulless, useless grey ineptitude and 3 more years of going nowhere.

If my memory serves me right, Boris only made his mind up whether he wanted to Remain or Leave the EU a few months before the 2016 EU referendum vote.  There are other Tory leadership candidates who can argue they are more committed to the UK leaving the EU than Boris.

And none of them will a sensible working majority, and they'll still have cavernous divisions that I don't see any candidate repairing.

2 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

Good post, why was parliament insistent on removing no-deal? They were just trying to scupper the whole lot. If he makes the shortlist he'll win it.

I'm not sure he's the right one to be honest, but they need a Brexiteer. I can't make my mind up so I'll just wait and see what's offered before deciding.

2 hours ago, Lockdoctor said:

Boris has implied the UK will leave the EU with or without a deal on 31st October. 

Is this the same Boris Johnson who said in Parliament on 11 July 2017 "There is no plan for no deal, because we're going to get a great deal".

5 hours ago, smithy266 said:

I would never vote Tory if he is PM.

Me neither, and I'm a life long Conservative party voter.

Boris for PM. We must have a Brexiteer next time. Not some grey faced individual with a foot in the remain camp.

Angel1.

2 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Boris for PM. We must have a Brexiteer next time. Not some grey faced individual with a foot in the remain camp.

Angel1.

Great. Have a die-hard,  swivelled eyed brexiteer in charge. All you need now is a unified party and working parliamentary majority.

Whoops!

Just watched a clip of Boris being taken apart by Eddie mair. Lovely.

Edited by tinfoilhat

2 minutes ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

Angel1.

I agree with the bit about a Brexiteer but I'm not sure about Boris but I could be convinced.

The fact of the matter is whoever gets the job will ned to deliver Brexit prior to the next election or the Conservatives are finished.