Serious incident in Shiregreen. RIP Blake and Tristan Barrass

On 28/09/2019 at 20:54, hauxwell said:

I do hope that when they are sentenced that life means life and they are told that they will never be considered for parole.  If in the future they challenge their sentence in the Court of Human Rights, that’s if we’re still in it, I hope their case is thrown out.

there is enough case law to demonstrate that there is nothing incompatible with a whole life tariff and the ECHR. you cant quite lock people up and throw away the key but the requirements are not that onerous and as long as they are followed there wont be a problem.

13 hours ago, hauxwell said:

We might get to know more details after they have been sentenced.  

So you admit to not knowing any details of the case but still say that they should be locked up for life? 🙄

I’ve got two boys, now in their 30s, and, from aged 11 & 9,  as a single parent. They were, and sometimes still are, the most irritating human beings but I love them to bits. They both ring me every day to see how I am and then worry me to bits offloading their problems. I can’t imagine ever doing anything to hurt either of them so wonder what the motivation for this crime was

45 minutes ago, catmiss said:

so wonder what the motivation for this crime was

We may never know.

11 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

So you admit to not knowing any details of the case but still say that they should be locked up for life? 🙄

I don’t know the details of the case as you say, but they have both been found guilty of murdering their children and attempted murder, therefore I believe they should be kept in prison for the rest of their lives.

For the Judge to say, no words of mine can ever fully reflect the enormity of what you both have done,  makes you wonder what they did to those children.  

On 28/09/2019 at 23:21, tinfoilhat said:

Do we know why they did it? You occasionally read of murder suicides or a jealous parent after a split but this makes no sense to me at all.

My guess, and I alluded to it, is that they were not of sound mind when they committed that act.  That's not to excuse it in any way.  But I would guess drugs or drink were involved.  Either that, or they were seriously mentally ill.

Regarding the latter, I have a friend  who is currently treating a mentally ill patient who has expressed an intention to kill her children.  She described how she had gone into the kitchen to sharpen knives to prepare for it.  Of course, all this is recorded and reported, but no crime has been committed.  And the person is mentally ill and needs treatment.  The treatment appears to be working, but what a situation for someone to find themselves in, having to vouch for the safety of someone who has expressed such desires.  Some jobs are tougher than others I think!

Edited by DerbyTup

I find it difficult to believe that both persons were so mentally ill as to conspire together to kill/attempt to kill so many children in one family. Drugs/alcohol I can see as a possibility but how can such a duel toxic relationship not have manifested itself before this tragedy. Having said this I can only think of the parents who appeared on TV then set fire to the house where their 6 kids were sleeping 

The mental ill card they knew dam well what they were doing 

9 minutes ago, Holiday1166 said:

You know this for a fact do you?

No you know all the facts what would you do with them ? Give them treatment ?

7 hours ago, Holiday1166 said:

No you know all the facts what would you do with them ? Give them treatment ?

I dont know any more than you as it goes.

8 hours ago, Holiday1166 said:

If they were going to play the 'mental ill card' wouldn't they have had to do so at the plea hearing or would that come later?

They plead guilty, no mention of diminished responsibility etc.