The stone erections around the new Moor buildings

Guest makapaka
2 hours ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

Just wondered what the significance is of the rocks/ stones used as decorations around the new Moor buildings, ie Cambridge Street and Charter Row.  As Sheffield is supposedly a steel city, wouldn't it be better to have steel sculptures incorporated into the designs. Even some statues which are a feature in other cities. What happened to the statues we had in Sheffield in the past?

I think they look great.

Don't see the need to have a steel slant on every bit of street furniture.

Why not bring back that pile of scrap metal, laughingly called a sculpture, that stood at the Wicker end of Savile Street?

3 hours ago, Unrecordings said:

I think what we need is a GIGANTIC millstone (anyone else call them polo stones when they were little ?) at the top of Fargate - one big enough to walk through the middle

Is that to represent what is hanging round our collective necks, this council

I don't know what they are supposed to be,  but I do like them.   They make me think of ancient stone circles.

It's probably the nearest our council could get to delivering Seven Stones shopping centre. Seven stones placed willy-nilly near to where the centre should have been by now (had we had any other council).

On 24/05/2019 at 11:05, WalkleyIan said:

I think you might need to check a map of the Peak District national park boundary. 

https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/maps/constituent-authorities

This map shows very little, if any of Sheffield is inside the peak district boundary.

pdnpa-map.jpg

Angel1.

On 24/05/2019 at 10:20, lil-minx92 said:

Maybe the rocks signify our close proximity to the peak district / relate to the new branding as 'the outdoors city'. The peaks are quite popular amongst British rock climbers I think

Oh so that's it?  I thought it related to the Flintstones, signifying our outlook on the world.

On 24/05/2019 at 21:08, kaytie said:

I don't know what they are supposed to be,  but I do like them.   They make me think of ancient stone circles.

That's correct Kaytie.  The council are hoping we will dance naked around them on Summer's solstice.  I'm up for it.  I don't fancy doing it on Winter's solstice though!:gag:

Edited by DerbyTup

On 24/05/2019 at 09:57, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

Just wondered what the significance is of the rocks/ stones used as decorations around the new Moor buildings, ie Cambridge Street and Charter Row.  As Sheffield is supposedly a steel city, wouldn't it be better to have steel sculptures incorporated into the designs. Even some statues which are a feature in other cities. What happened to the statues we had in Sheffield in the past?

I hate the fact that there is an assumption that everything has to be steel just because of the history of our city.

Perhaps they could be carved into the busts of Marti Caine, Bobby Knutt and Tony Christie etc, in recognition of this city’s huge contribution to the world of light entertainment.

19 hours ago, ANGELFIRE1 said:

This map shows very little, if any of Sheffield is inside the peak district boundary.

pdnpa-map.jpg

Angel1.

But this map doesn't show the Sheffield boundary, just the built-up area.

I like them, they remind me of the northern area of the Peaks which I assume is what they were going for.

Another excellent contribution to the transformation of Sheffield City centre