The stone erections around the new Moor buildings

Just wondered what the significance is of the rocks/ stones used as decorations around the new Moor buildings, ie Cambridge Street and Charter Row.  As Sheffield is supposedly a steel city, wouldn't it be better to have steel sculptures incorporated into the designs. Even some statues which are a feature in other cities. What happened to the statues we had in Sheffield in the past?

Maybe the rocks signify our close proximity to the peak district / relate to the new branding as 'the outdoors city'. The peaks are quite popular amongst British rock climbers I think

I dunno but I kind of like them. I think the steel interpretation has been done to death, and it would certainly rankle a lot of people (me included) if we had some steel related street art that wasn't actually made in Sheffield.  In terms of the rocks, you could argue they relate to the Peak  District which is a major attraction for people, and maybe for younger generations more representative of the city today

One thing that did annoy me though in recent years was when the council  (or someone) decided not to install an old forge hammer at the top of Fargate because it was too ugly - to me it would have looked fantastic, I'm very much in favour of the original stuff rather than those commissioned interpretations

As for the Victorian statues, they all got moved into the parks over the years

1 minute ago, lil-minx92 said:

Maybe the rocks signify our close proximity to the peak district / relate to the new branding as 'the outdoors city'. The peaks are quite popular amongst British rock climbers I think

damn my slow typing 🙂

Given that the Peak District is Derbyshire, no, I feel that there should be something representative of Sheffield and its heritage.

12 minutes ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

Given that the Peak District is Derbyshire, no, I feel that there should be something representative of Sheffield and its heritage.

I think you might need to check a map of the Peak District national park boundary. 

https://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/maps/constituent-authorities

Edited by WalkleyIan

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

Just wondered what the significance is of the rocks/ stones used as decorations around the new Moor buildings, ie Cambridge Street and Charter Row.  As Sheffield is supposedly a steel city, wouldn't it be better to have steel sculptures incorporated into the designs. Even some statues which are a feature in other cities. What happened to the statues we had in Sheffield in the past?

A representation of the era the council live in?

It just makes me think of this. Sorry.

Stand corrected!!!! Stand by my original comments though!!!

Indeed, I believe 1/3rd of Sheffield lies within the boundaries of the national park

2 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

A representation of the era the council live in?

He he!

Maybe there are seven stones so the Council can publicly announce that they have delivered Seven Stones

I think what we need is a GIGANTIC millstone (anyone else call them polo stones when they were little ?) at the top of Fargate - one big enough to walk through the middle

Maybe the council were collectively stoned when they approved it,certainly they look totally out of place in my opinion