living in poverty

1 hour ago, JamesR123 said:

But more people are taking college courses now than ever before.

More people are leaving higher education with £50k+ debt than ever before.

More people are entering into unpaid internships than ever before.

More people will be unable to make decent pension provision than ever before.

More people are unable to access the property market than ever before.

But all is fine...

17 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

More people are entering into unpaid internships than ever before.

More people will be unable to make decent pension provision than ever before.

More people are unable to access the property market than ever before.

But all is fine...

I've not seen anyone living in real poverty in this country since the late 60's. Anyone with a tv and mobile phone and not living one family per room isn't living in poverty

And many people over 50 now would have had the same experiences - free job schemes(or low pay)not posh internships , council waiting list - almost none of my peer group lived in privately owned homes, pensions were only open to public sector workers and few others except the miners. Almost no access at all to higher education - i was the first and only member of my family to attend college and uni.

First world problems ....

Just now, willman said:

I've not seen anyone living in real poverty in this country since the late 60's. Anyone with a tv and mobile phone and not living one family per room isn't living in poverty

And many people over 50 now would have had the same experiences - free job schemes(or low pay)not posh internships , council waiting list - almost none of my peer group lived in privately owned homes, pensions were only open to public sector workers and few others except the miners. Almost no access at all to higher education - i was the first and only member of my family to attend college and uni.

First world problems ....

If you’ve not seen real poverty recently, you must live somewhere nice. Try sacking your job in and signing on for UC. You’ll get a bit of insight that way.

You must be a bit younger than me too. Even so, you must have had free university, house prices below £100k, and no internships.  They are a key thing, because they lead to the good jobs, but require a lot of parental cash/influence/support.

It it is a different world for today’s 20 somethings. I certainly wouldn’t swap places with them (except to get bendy knees again)

On 23/05/2019 at 20:32, WiseOwl182 said:

Someone born in 1981 (the oldest of the millennial generation) would now be 37 to 38, a long way past their "late twenties".

Anyway, how does the Resolution Foundation define "relative poverty"? What are the criteria?

So 4 pages in and still nobody is defining what we're actually talking about by "poverty" then?

53 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

People making wild comments like this for political effect are putting kids off higher education. I've seen it.

This debt is only paid at £30-40  a month when salaried at £26k+ and £80 when on £30k. It isn't inducing any poverty. Comments like yours are hugely damaging to kids prospects, especially those from poorer backgrounds. Think on, before spouting political rhetoric.

Edited by Voice of reason

28 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

If you’ve not seen real poverty recently, you must live somewhere nice. Try sacking your job in and signing on for UC. You’ll get a bit of insight that way.

You must be a bit younger than me too. Even so, you must have had free university, house prices below £100k, and no internships.  They are a key thing, because they lead to the good jobs, but require a lot of parental cash/influence/support.

It it is a different world for today’s 20 somethings. I certainly wouldn’t swap places with them (except to get bendy knees again)

What does a single person get on UC?

What's the internship you keep mentioning?

Edited by Voice of reason

26 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

People making wild comments like this for political effect are putting kids off higher education. I've seen it.

This debt is only paid at £30-40  a month when salaried at £26k+ and £80 when on £30k. It isn't inducing any poverty. Comments like yours are hugely damaging to kids prospects, especially those from poorer backgrounds. Think on, before spouting political rhetoric.

*APPLAUSE*     Could not have put it better myself. 

I'm so sick of people banging on about these "tombstone" student fees and "debt for life" nonsense.

The Student Loans System is one of the fairest "loan" systems out there.    Any student can access it.   Its payments dont commence until after graduation.    Deductions are only applied after someone earns strictly defined threshold and payments are budgeted in line with progressive salary increases.  

Going to University is not some god given right that every teenager thinks they should be automatically granted for free.    It costs money and quite rightly should be paid for. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

40 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

I’m guessing that I’ve done more to enhance the prospects of kids from poor backgrounds than most people in the country, including yourself.  So, I’ll take no lectures from you thank you very much.

The loan system acts as a drag on the willingness of our poorest young people to access university education. That is undeniable. It simultaneously allows Universities to pay enormous wages to a select few, at the expense of the taxpayer.

Most student loans go to middle class kids. Less than half will be repaid. 100% of the money ends up in the pockets of the Universities and contribute to obscene salaries at the top of those institutions.

None of that encourages working class kids to better themselves in the way that I was encouraged 

2 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

I’m guessing that I’ve done more to enhance the prospects of kids from poor backgrounds than most people in the country, including yourself.  So, I’ll take no lectures from you thank you very much.

The loan system acts as a drag on the willingness of our poorest young people to access university education. That is undeniable. It simultaneously allows Universities to pay enormous wages to a select few, at the expense of the taxpayer.

Most student loans go to middle class kids. Less than half will be repaid. 100% of the money ends up in the pockets of the Universities and contribute to obscene salaries at the top of those institutions.

None of that encourages working class kids to better themselves in the way that I was encouraged 

How would you fund it then?

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

How would you fund it then?

Well, a bit of honesty would be a good start.

Why not limit places a bit and fund them from general taxation. 

That way, the most able can go to university. Other, more suitable pathways can evolve for the rest. And we won’t have VCs on £480 000 a year sucking all of our money out of the system.

Edited by Pettytom

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

I got free university and grants 'cos we were poor , houses were sub 100k because my first wage was £11 a week, i can still buy a house for sub 100k even though wages are more like 5-600 a week now.

I'ved lived on benefits through Thatcher and wine lakes and cheese mountains,i've lived on benefits under Blair.

Yet i've still not seen anything remotely like that which i lived in in my childhood on Upperthorpe.

1 minute ago, willman said:

I got free university and grants 'cos we were poor , houses were sub 100k because my first wage was £11 a week, i can still buy a house for sub 100k even though wages are more like 5-600 a week now.

I'ved lived on benefits through Thatcher and wine lakes and cheese mountains,i've lived on benefits under Blair.

Yet i've still not seen anything remotely like that which i lived in in my childhood on Upperthorpe.

That’s probably your problem. Upperthorpe is scarcely a deprived area.

Try the Wybourne, or the Dearne Valley, or the Rother Valley. They all rank as some of the most deprived areas of Europe. I think you’ll find deprivation there now, that exceeds that of Upperthorpe in the 80s or 90s.

In any case, aren’t we supposed to be developing as a society, rather than regressing?