living in poverty

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

A single person on JSA is about £73:00 a week. Although they get housing benefit and help with their council tax, it's close to what I'd call poverty.

So, you've got somewhere to live and then £73 for food and bills, thats poverty?

I think you need to see what poverty actually is. People in poverty would give their right arm for that situation.

7 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

So, you've got somewhere to live and then £73 for food and bills, thats poverty?

I think you need to see what poverty actually is. People in poverty would give their right arm for that situation.

Exactly. That isn't poverty. 

10 minutes ago, Mister M said:

A single person on JSA is about £73:00 a week. Although they get housing benefit and help with their council tax, it's close to what I'd call poverty.

About 440,000 or so people claim JSA. An even smaller number of those people will be people living alone with no access to additional support. 

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to live in £73 a week. I have lived on JSA before briefly in my life, but that was at a time when I did not have many other bills to pay, but even if surviving on JSA did equate to living in poverty, then that would only account for a very very small percentage of the total number of people that it is claimed are living in poverty. 

A single pensioner on Pension Credit, or on the new State Pension (introduced in 2016 for new claimants)  will receive around £167 a week.  Council tax and housing benefits will apply if they are claiming Pension Credit or dependent on income if they retired after 2016.  

I'm not sure if that equates to poverty.   Everyone over state pension age is eligible for a free travel pass, free prescriptions, and the winter fuel allowance. 

Edited by Ms Macbeth

6 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

8 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Who are the rest? How do you define their poverty? How much income do they have? We've established that long term unemployed don't fit most people's definition of poverty.

Lol....On more than one occasion on this thread, you've each demanded to know a definition of poverty. When I've given you the minimum thin gruel that the government entitles to people over 25 and in need, you've both spluttered disbelief as if £73 is a kings ransom. 

No doubt there'll be people sleeping on the streets with less; though if you demanded to know their circumstances, and were given them, I'm sure you'd be telling me that there are people in this world who would be grateful for the comfort of Sheffield paving slabs :rolleyes:

Edited by Mister M

7 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

I'd like to see you live on 73 quid a week and then come and tell us how great it was.

10 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Who are the rest? How do you define their poverty? How much income do they have? We've established that long term unemployed don't fit most people's definition of poverty.

Post #227.

I don't define it, it's still using the common UK definition of <60% of median income.

We really haven't.

8 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

Elderly people die in the winter because this is insufficient to heat their homes, put food on the table, buy any new clothes and pay for necessities.

It's not the kind of poverty you might suffer in the 3rd world, but we aren't in the 3rd world.

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

Lol....On more than one occasion on this thread, you've each demanded to know a definition of poverty. When I've given you the minimum thin gruel that the government entitles to people over 25 and in need, you've both spluttered disbelief as if £73 is a kings ransom. 

No doubt there'll be people sleeping on the streets with less; though if you demanded to know their circumstances, and were given them, I'm sure you'd be telling me that there are people in this world who would be grateful for the comfort of Sheffield paving slabs :rolleyes:

440,000 people are on JSA. Fewer than that will have it as their only benefit, and not have another support. 

It is claimed over 14,000,000 are living in poverty. If true, this is clearly not down to the amount entitled to for JSA. 

42 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Post #227.

I don't define it, it's still using the common UK definition of <60% of median income.

We really haven't.

Elderly people die in the winter because this is insufficient to heat their homes, put food on the table, buy any new clothes and pay for necessities.

It's not the kind of poverty you might suffer in the 3rd world, but we aren't in the 3rd world.

Elderly people don’t tend to be on JSA. 

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

I'd like to see you live on 73 quid a week and then come and tell us how great it was.

It isn't great, I've said as much  But I could live on it. Remember housing benefit is paid. It isn't poverty.

So, on top of housing what figure do you think they should get? Is £100 more suitable?

2 hours ago, Halibut said:

It's not supposed to be great.

It's a temporary emergency measure to fill in while someone is between jobs.

It fills a gap not funds a lifestyle and it's still nowhere near what should rightly be deemed "poverty".

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

Living on the street IS poverty.

Claiming that 14 million in the uk are also in poverty is just a political game, played at the expense of people like that.

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

It's not supposed to be great.

It's a temporary emergency measure to fill in while someone is between jobs.

It fills a gap not funds a lifestyle and it's still nowhere near what should rightly be deemed "poverty".

^^^^ This. Exactly.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Post #227.

We really haven't.

Elderly people don't have to exist on £73 a week thank goodness.  See my previous post, its more than double if they are claiming all their entitlements.   Still not a fantastic amount, but with housing and council tax benefits, free prescriptions and travel its a bit more maneageable.