living in poverty

13 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Yes it is too different things. One is the stream of enough well paid jobs. The other is lifting the base pay for the poorest. They aren’t the same thing. We all know as well that we have the explosion of zero hours contracts and other less secure forms of work. Couple that with very high living costs and the picture is not so rosy.

Finally, a couple of things to think about. If everything is so great then why the powerful protest votes at elections? And if we are making progress then why are Tories lining up to cut our workers’ protections and conditions?

Minimum wage just gone up by 4.8% , inflation is about 2%. Is that the kind of thing you mean?

In the last election the main opposition party got 1 in 7 voting for it. Previously failed too. Despite the junk we have in power, where is the alternative you're talking about to help the real poor????

4 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Minimum wage just gone up by 4.8% , inflation is about 2%. Is that the kind of thing you mean?

In the last election the main opposition party got 1 in 7 voting for it. Previously failed too. Despite the junk we have in power, where is the alternative you're talking about to help the real poor????

Depends how you measure inflation. Which measure are you using? 

Are you saying that people haven't been voting for change?

Youre making this up as you go along aren’t you?

27 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Yes it is too different things. One is the stream of enough well paid jobs. The other is lifting the base pay for the poorest. They aren’t the same thing. We all know as well that we have the explosion of zero hours contracts and other less secure forms of work. Couple that with very high living costs and the picture is not so rosy.

Finally, a couple of things to think about. If everything is so great then why the powerful protest votes at elections? And if we are making progress then why are Tories lining up to cut our workers’ protections and conditions?

This is a thread about poverty. Lifting the base pay for the poorest therefore has the most relevance to the topic at hand. The government, as the link provided shows, have succeeded in lifting the base pay for the poorest and reduced the number of people in low paid work. 

Practically all the jobs that have been created are full time positions. They aren't zero hours contracts. https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/uklabourmarket/november2018

"Figure 4 shows that the annual increase in the number of people in work (350,000) was entirely due to more people in full-time employment (416,000)" 

10 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

This is a thread about poverty. Lifting the base pay for the poorest therefore has the most relevance to the topic at hand. The government, as the link provided shows, have succeeded in lifting the base pay for the poorest and reduced the number of people in low paid work. 

Practically all the jobs that have been created are full time positions. They aren't zero hours contracts. https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/bulletins/uklabourmarket/november2018

"Figure 4 shows that the annual increase in the number of people in work (350,000) was entirely due to more people in full-time employment (416,000)" 

The statistics don’t match the reality

https://fullfact.org/economy/poverty-uk-guide-facts-and-figures/

5 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Nobody is saying that nobody is living in poverty. 

The question has been how should poverty be defined, and how is best to get people out of it. 

The article I posted explains it very well.

What annoys me in particular is when governments trot out stats to argue that everything is well, when that actually couldn’t be further from the truth.

36 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

Depends how you measure inflation. Which measure are you using? 

Are you saying that people haven't been voting for change?

Youre making this up as you go along aren’t you?

Rpi and cpi are both about 2%

What were these protests votes then?

Last one brexit party got most. Obviously you dont mean them. Second, libdems on a remain ticket.

2017 ge labour improved, but should really have been smashing tories out of the park.

So, you'll have to educate and correct my 'maki g it up' please.

7 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

The article I posted explains it very well.

What annoys me in particular is when governments trot out stats to argue that everything is well, when that actually couldn’t be further from the truth.

The article you posted was interesting yes, and highlights what I think some people consider to be the issue about a lot of these poverty statistics, namely that the thresholds set are arbitrary, and so no do accurately reflect the reality of the overall picture. 

6 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Rpi and cpi are both about 2%

What were these protests votes then?

Last one brexit party got most. Obviously you dont mean them. Second, libdems on a remain ticket.

2017 ge labour improved, but should really have been smashing tories out of the park.

So, you'll have to educate and correct my 'maki g it up' please.

We are continuously told that people are voting for the change, the referendum being the prime example.

You are now arguing that isn’t the case, that everything is fine and that wage increases are outstripping living costs? Where have you been since 2008?

Id hardly call a minimum wage of £8.21 or £328.40 per  40 hr week as living in poverty. 

5 minutes ago, Penistone999 said:

Id hardly call a minimum wage of £8.21 or £328.40 per  40 hr week as living in poverty. 

doesn't that depend on how much the necessities you need to live cost? things  like rent/mortgage, food, clothes, transport 

2 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

We are continuously told that people are voting for the change, the referendum being the prime example.

You are now arguing that isn’t the case, that everything is fine and that wage increases are outstripping living costs? Where have you been since 2008?

You've chosen to ignore min wage outstripping inflation, so we'll take that as accepted.

Was the referendum a vote against the tories then? I never took you as a Leave voter!

1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

doesn't that depend on how much the necessities you need to live cost? things  like rent/mortgage, food, clothes, transport 

Well, it would put a working couple on about £2400 pcm.

That isn't poverty.