living in poverty

15 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Public libraries have been closed due to austerity, and they often have just a few computers.

Which seem to get little use - my local community library has 8 machines, and whenever I've been in there, maybe 2 or 3 are in use, but usually only one.

Perhaps because having a computer and internet access really is something that you need at home today.

I find it incomprehensible that there are people around who appear to be trying to claim that poverty doesn't exist in this country today. I can only imagine they live very insular lives. When I worked at an inner city school in Leeds ( for about seven years, finishing in October last year) I know for a fact there were children without adequate bedding/beds, whose clothes were all second hand,  regularly came to school without breakfast because there was no food in the house and were sleeping three or four to a room. We regularly gave out free food and clothing to help them cope.

People convince themselves that it's the fault of the parents (in that case) though.  It's a persistent myth or thought pattern, the feckless poor and the deserving better off (or rich).  It's a pleasant lie isn't it, to tell ourselves that we  have plenty because we deserve it, worked hard for it, etc, and that anyone who doesn't have plenty must be a lazy good for nothing who puts in no effort and is poor due to their own decisions.

36 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Perhaps because having a computer and internet access really is something that you need at home today.

This is going to turn into a circular argument - except it won't. If you don't have internet access at home, why would you not use a free service at a library?

And before you say the library isn't open 24/7 - why would it need to be? - no-one needs to be on a computer/laptop/tablet/w.h.y 24/7.

Edited by RollingJ

I assume they would, but it's hugely inconvenient isn't it.

Inconvenient, yes, but not insurmountable and not life-threatening.

In my (much) younger days, when I had exhausted the type of book I wanted to read at my local library, I travelled to the Central Library  - inconvenient, because it meant going on a Saturday as I was at school/working Monday-Friday, but I did it.

It's not my definition of poverty, but you might as well claim that they can use the library toilet and so not having one at home isn't a sign of poverty.

Not having the book you want to read is quite different to not having access to the internet I'd say.

14 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Don't forget how poverty is being defined here. Being fed, clothed and housed as a social safety net isn't enough, we also need to include:

Sky TV (including Sports)

Mobile

Broadband

Cigarettes

Alcohol

Branded clothing

Add those necessities in and it's a bit more of a struggle.

You forgot scratchcards and the lottery.

51 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It's not my definition of poverty, but you might as well claim that they can use the library toilet and so not having one at home isn't a sign of poverty.

Not having the book you want to read is quite different to not having access to the internet I'd say.

As most of those books were reference/information related (I was looking to better inform myself on various subjects), I see little difference.

Given that most bills are now paid online, government information and claims are made online, job searching and application is online, but none of this requires a book to do, I think there's a very clear difference.

It can be better explained here perhaps

http://www.poverty.ac.uk/editorial/low-income-and-digital-exclusion

Edited by Cyclone

I was talking about my situation some 40+ years ago, not the situation now, but to try and stop you moving the goalposts at each point, I will agree with you on the situation today.