living in poverty

10 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

I agree.  However, we live in society in which it is incredibly easy to upskill and to improve ones earning potential.

In fact, it has never been easier.

Really? I’d suggest college courses were far easier and cheaper to access 25 years ago.

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

Really? I’d suggest college courses were far easier and cheaper to access 25 years ago.

That's a very good point. Whilst there has been a huge expansion in Higher Education (Universities); FE colleges and adult education has been allowed to wither on the vine. Access courses were great for single parents or guys made redundant to try and better their situation

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

That's a very good point. Whilst there has been a huge expansion in Higher Education (Universities); FE colleges and adult education has been allowed to wither on the vine. Access courses were great for single parents or guys made redundant to try and better their situation

Indeed, back in the day you could do a BTEC National in whatever and still sign on, and the colleges were there to do them.

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

Sadly many who are working are in poverty

Always will be when poverty is being defined as relative to the median income.

It's strange that the ones who are always moaning about poverty are usually the ones who spend most of their time on here. 

There's virtually full employment in the country at the moment, and has been said there are opportunities to  upskill. 

The left wing losers always go on about the 'working poor' without telling us how many hours they're working a week, I suspect that most are working the minimum to claim benefits.

I admit to being uninformed of actual financial figures. It would be useful for someone in-the-know to highlight some objective points.

E.g a a family of 4 on Universal Credit would receive £x , rent is £y, utilities is £z, leaving £f for food.

5 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

If you have benefitted from advantages in life then why vote to pull up the drawbridge and deny those benefits to our younger generations?

I don't believe Catmiss is pulling up the drawbridge, neither am I.  One similarity I noted with us both, we are long term couples who both worked whilst bringing up our children.  A single, ordinary wage hasn't been enough to provide more than a basic living for a long time. A highly paid professional may have a stay at home partner bringing up children, but that was a luxury many of us never had.

It's far easier for both parents to work nowadays with after school clubs, holiday clubs etc, so the belief that all children would benefit from a stay at home parent (chosen occupation 'full time mummy')  is outdated.   There are few circumstances where one parent can provide enough income to support a family.  I accept that not all marriages or partnerships are sustainable, but responsibility for any child is down to parties involved in their conception.   

1 hour ago, gomgeg said:

It's strange that the ones who are always moaning about poverty are usually the ones who spend most of their time on here. 

There's virtually full employment in the country at the moment, and has been said there are opportunities to  upskill. 

The left wing losers always go on about the 'working poor' without telling us how many hours they're working a week, I suspect that most are working the minimum to claim benefits.

It's strange that those from a right wing perspective who call others 'losers', are the ones who make disparaging remarks about those on benefits working a 'minimum to claim them', without knowing the facts of those people's lives. It's a favourite trope from  some right wingers to call others workshy, while not prepared to do the research themselves when it's at their fingertips. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mister M

14 minutes ago, Mister M said:

It's strange that those from a right wing perspective who call others 'losers', are the ones who make disparaging remarks about those on benefits working a 'minimum to claim them', without knowing the facts of those people's lives. It's a favourite trope from  some right wingers to call others workshy, while not prepared to do the research themselves when it's at their fingertips. :rolleyes:

Go on then, give us the facts that 'voice of reason'  asked for, and while you're at it tell us how many hours a week the working poor work.

It might be an idea for people to take responsibility for their own lives instead of expecting others to pay for their lifestyle.

We saved for two years before we got married for the deposit for a house, virtually stopped going out and drinking, didn't have a car during that period , worked as much overtime as possible and managed to save the equivalent of a years wages for two of us. I suppose we could have carried on with our previous lifestyle then moaned that we couldn't afford a house.

We had two kids because we couldn't afford any more. And they've done the same and both have their own houses.

And to be quite honest I couldn't care less what the left wing losers think about me. It might be an idea for them to get off their backsides and provide for their families instead of moaning on here all day.

20 hours ago, Pettytom said:

You are of course right. 

We should re-introduce rickets, polio and diphtheria. Let’s also Have those buggers queueing up for work at 6am, from the gang masters.

That’ll teach those millennials. 

(Meanwhile, the pensioners and comfortably off middle classes can just carry on gorging themselves on their good fortune to be born at the right time)

The first couple of lines are quite funny, were they written to be?.

As for the  comfortably off Pensioners, do you mean those who have worked for 50 years and paid into the system for all that time, and receive the magnificent amount of a maximum of £168 a week. £168 is the maximum, many will get much less. Take your rent, council tax, gas, electricity, water rates and FOOD from even the maximum  of £168, and be assured, there isn't much left to gorge yourself on. What a silly post you have written.

Angel1.

5 hours ago, tinfoilhat said:

But more people are taking college courses now than ever before.

1 hour ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I don't believe Catmiss is pulling up the drawbridge, neither am I.  One similarity I noted with us both, we are long term couples who both worked whilst bringing up our children.  A single, ordinary wage hasn't been enough to provide more than a basic living for a long time. A highly paid professional may have a stay at home partner bringing up children, but that was a luxury many of us never had.

It's far easier for both parents to work nowadays with after school clubs, holiday clubs etc, so the belief that all children would benefit from a stay at home parent (chosen occupation 'full time mummy')  is outdated.   There are few circumstances where one parent can provide enough income to support a family.  I accept that not all marriages or partnerships are sustainable, but responsibility for any child is down to parties involved in their conception.   

What's the point of having children if all you're going to do is bung them away in after school clubs etc for at least 5 days a week?