living in poverty

1 hour ago, Pettytom said:

You are of course right. 

We should re-introduce rickets, polio and diphtheria. Let’s also Have those buggers queueing up for work at 6am, from the gang masters.

That’ll teach those millennials. 

(Meanwhile, the pensioners and comfortably off middle classes can just carry on gorging themselves on their good fortune to be born at the right time)

They should look forward to life in an iron lung, or to the prospect of horrendous accidents in the workplace.

It shouldn’t be lost that those willing this life of woe on the young are often well off pensioners believing that everybody should go through some messed up rite of passage. where people suffer and just have to shut up and get on with it. The idea that we can have generation on generation improvements cuts no ice. They want everything to be as crap for the young as it was for themselves. All of course while sitting with their trotters up while the rest of us fund their pensions.

10 minutes ago, I1L2T3 said:

They should look forward to life in an iron lung, or to the prospect of horrendous accidents in the workplace.

It shouldn’t be lost that those willing this life of woe on the young are often well off pensioners believing that everybody should go through some messed up rite of passage. where people suffer and just have to shut up and get on with it. The idea that we can have generation on generation improvements cuts no ice. They want everything to be as crap for the young as it was for themselves. All of course while sitting with their trotters up while the rest of us fund their pensions.

Not biting but you keep wallowing in some self pity I1L2T3.  Don't worry they'll be a support group along in a few minutes. 

Yes, how dare some folk get themselves a decent education & have the gall to work hard, leading to them picking up a generous salary & pension.  Can't put my finger on it but there must be some correlation between a good education & a good pay packet?

Nasty pensioners.  Especially those who had the audacity to take early retirement. 

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Not biting but you keep wallowing in some self pity I1L2T3.  Don't worry they'll be a support group along in a few minutes. 

Yes, how dare some folk get themselves a decent education & have the gall to work hard, leading to them picking up a generous salary & pension.  Can't put my finger on it but there must be some correlation between a good education & a good pay packet?

Nasty pensioners.  Especially those who had the audacity to take early retirement. 

Self pity? Explain...

I am so sorry to have been born at a time when, encouraged by working class parents, I took full advantage of state education, started work at 15, studied 4.5 years whilst working a 40 hour week to qualify as a Health Service professional and pay Into the pension. Apologies for marrying someone who did a 5 year apprenticeship, studying night school outside a 40 hour working week who also paid into the offered  final salary pension. Sorry we bought our own home, brought up 2 kids ,who both have jobs, homes and pay for pensions, paid the full cost of child care and after working 50 years have retired without claiming any benefits, other than child benefit (reduced for 2nd),  So sorry as pensioners we now receive state pension after 50 years NI contributions and pay tax on our work pensions. No apologies if we are ok financially so that we don’t need to rely on the state because we chose to look after ourselves 

Catmiss, I am probably the same generation as you or a bit older.  We also left school at 15, and although went down different routes, our main aim was to give our children opportunities.  We had a period where we really struggled, we didn't want that for our children.  Unfortunately ill health affected our continued earning power, but we saved, and apart from the state pension (mine is a pittance) we don't get anything either.

Both our children have higher level qualifications, and good careers.   Our grandchildren now benefit from their parents' aspirations.   Of course having parents with a work ethic helps, as does decent health and a stable family.  Not everyone has an equal start, so IMO intervention and support needs to start young.    Children in families where education isn't valued often fail before they start.  

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Millennials will pay trillions over their lifetimes for global warming.

The idea that you can just work your way out of poverty is conceited nonsense.

Just now, petemcewan said:

Proof, please.

11 hours ago, catmiss said:

I am so sorry to have been born at a time when, encouraged by working class parents, I took full advantage of state education, started work at 15, studied 4.5 years whilst working a 40 hour week to qualify as a Health Service professional and pay Into the pension. Apologies for marrying someone who did a 5 year apprenticeship, studying night school outside a 40 hour working week who also paid into the offered  final salary pension. Sorry we bought our own home, brought up 2 kids ,who both have jobs, homes and pay for pensions, paid the full cost of child care and after working 50 years have retired without claiming any benefits, other than child benefit (reduced for 2nd),  So sorry as pensioners we now receive state pension after 50 years NI contributions and pay tax on our work pensions. No apologies if we are ok financially so that we don’t need to rely on the state because we chose to look after ourselves 

If you have benefitted from advantages in life then why vote to pull up the drawbridge and deny those benefits to our younger generations?

3 hours ago, petemcewan said:

I have worked my way out of poverty.  Wasn't that hard.

It is your attitude that is the problem.  The world doesn't owe you anything, in fact it is you that owes the world.

1 minute ago, JamesR123 said:

I have worked my way out of poverty.  Wasn't that hard.

It is your attitude that is the problem.  The world doesn't owe you anything, in fact it is you that owes the world.

Sadly many who are working are in poverty

7 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Sadly many who are working are in poverty

I agree.  However, we live in society in which it is incredibly easy to upskill and to improve ones earning potential.

In fact, it has never been easier.

11 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

I agree.  However, we live in society in which it is incredibly easy to upskill and to improve ones earning potential.

In fact, it has never been easier.

Theoretically that may be true, however in reality, as many official reports have identified social mobility in this country is drying up. I'm sure that most, if not all would like to work their way out of poverty.

Edited by Mister M