Ex Black Footballers Denied Opportunities

The wife of Emile Heskey states that there is a lack of opportunity for black players to take up coaching, (presumably she means manger roles?), in the, (again I'm presuming from the article she means England?), English game?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48217557

Mrs Heskey sited Sol Campbell only being appointed at Macclesfield?  I'd say fair play to him for starting at the bottom. 

It's also apparent that Heskey doesn't appear to have applied for any managerial post.  It does appear she is trying to play the race card on this one as apparently does Danny Rose, who is mentioned in the report. 

As I understand it, all coaches / prospective managers to the English league have had to have qualified for a number of FA coaching badges before they can be considered for managerial roles as a way of improving the quality of English football.  I seem to remember that years ago the FA bent over backwards for Paul Ince when he kept delaying taking his badges but kept offering roles to him on the basis that he'd eventually pass them. Not sure he ever did? 

All that's coming across is that Emile Heskey is now outside both the lucrative worlds of both football & football tv pundutory & is hiding behind his wife's skirt tails & trying to use race as an excuse?

Why is he apparently too big to start his managerial career at a none league or 2nd division club?   You've only got to look locally at the likes of Neil Warnock or Chris Wilder to see 2 individuals who have spent their time taking their FA badges & achieved the goal of becoming Premiership managers.  

What?  There is supposed to be some special dispensation because of the colour of your skin or you played for the national side? 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

Ex black footballers? Black ex footballers is what you were trying to say I think. 

As for the rest of it, I can only imagine you're white.

P.S. I see Raheem Stirling is calling for stiffer punishments for people racially abusing black players, what's your take on that?

Edited by Halibut

Is this another thread about skin whitening? 👍🏿👍🏾👍🏽👍🏼👍🏻👍👍

Fact of the matter is if you're good enough you'll get a job. Anyone thinking Heskey could walk into a Premier League managers job are deluded. He'll have to start at the bottom and work his way up. Sol Campbell has (although I seem to remember him having a similar whinge). Not sure how Campbells Macclesfield finished up, I know they were struggling and I think he had quite a good impact when he first got the job but I lost track after that.

There has been a few black managers but they fell a bit short, for whatever reason. The bloke at West Prom was doing a good job but it went bottoms up for him. Then there was Chris Hughton at Brighton but he was on a hiding to nothing there as I don't think he had enough funds to do any better. Chris Powell was doing a good job at Charlton as well, but again they got rid when the results weren't going there way.

Football clubs crave success and anyone intimating they'd turn their noses up at a black manager who'd give them that success are deluded. Ince just wasn't good enough.

I'm sure Heskey would get a job if he's got his badges but again, he needs to start at the bottom and prove his worth.

4 hours ago, Halibut said:

Ex black footballers? Black ex footballers is what you were trying to say I think. 

P.S. I see Raheem Stirling is calling for stiffer punishments for people racially abusing black players, what's your take on that?

Totally agree with what Sterling says.  Nobody should have to put up with the abuse he's had thrown at him.  If it's in an international game, then walk off the pitch.  If the English FA are serious about tackling this then they should back such action & it wouldn't be long before FIFA start to penalise the usual countries where racism is prevalent. 

As for your other comments?  Yes I'm white & what has that got to do with the initial post?  

Are you suggesting it's somehow racist to challenge the comments of Heskey's wife, who appears to have made statements that lack any credible foundation?  As Bash Street above states, if you're good enough, you'll get a job in football.   I also like how Mrs Heskey also appeard to decide that she's Campbell's unofficial spokeswoman & a nice line denigrating Macclesfield. 

Heskey not involved in top flight football anymore or even invited on tv as a pundit.  The money must be starting to run out & Mrs Heskey looks high maintenance.  I'm a celebrity looks enticing. 

"P.S. I see Raheem Stirling is calling for stiffer punishments for people racially abusing black players, what's your take on that?" Throw your comment back at you.  What's your take on that? 

Edited by Baron99
Amendments

I struggle to believe this. Racism does exist in lots of walks of life.

I've watched football on the terraces for decades and haven't witnessed any racial abuse of players. Lots of other very tasty abuse, but not racial. I can't why it would happen in management. Football clubs employ whoever will get results.

6 hours ago, Halibut said:

Raheem Sterling (not Stirling), is actually advocating a 9 point deduction and playing games behind closed doors for clubs who's 'supporters' are racist, I don't agree personally, punishing clubs, all their employees and thousands of decent fans for the actions of one or two idiots would be ridiculous. How the hell can football clubs control to that sort of degree what comes out of the mouths of such people ? The football clubs in England and the British game in general has been pro-active for years in stamping out racism, there probably isn't a more diverse sport on the planet, Sterling himself has been fortunate enough to earn millions playing the game, and then comes out with suggestions like that, which arguably would and could effect the earnings potential of many others including his current, past and future colleagues , I suggest he comes up with something more reasoned or practical.

There are laws already in place to deal with racist behaviour in this country, people at football matches like any other event or public place should be dealt with by the police, through the courts and punished according to the law of the land...… we don't punish public transport companies when such behaviour happens on a bus or a train  !

Edited by Michael_W

44 minutes ago, Michael_W said:

I don't agree personally, punishing clubs, all their employees and thousands of decent fans for the actions of one or two idiots would be ridiculous. How the hell can football clubs control to that sort of degree what comes out of the mouths of such people ?  

Really?

I’ve been at football a ton of times where only a few idiots have being making racist chants and most people just ignore them.

Maybe if fans stood to lose more, then they would speak up and  tackle these idiots when it happens.

7 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

I’ve been at football a ton of times where only a few idiots have being making racist chants and most people just ignore them.

Maybe if fans stood to lose more, then they would speak up and  tackle these idiots when it happens.

Yes really, if you have seen or witnessed such incidents did you speak up ? Please give us an example, I have been attending football matches regularly for 50 years and have hardly witnessed any incidents, I used to go as a kid with a mixed race school friend and did not witness anything in his presence that he himself would have complained about. I mentioned on here in a different thread some weeks ago that I witnessed more racism at school in the 70s and some of that was from the teachers !

Edited by Michael_W

Like on post has said regardless of colour of skin if you are qualified and good at what you do you will get a job  just wish we could get rid off this colour of skin talk load of bull look at premiership there’s more foreign players than ever of all colours there good at what they do that’s why they are there it makes me sick people always bring colour of skin in to it get on with it

Edited by jacklev1

I have been at Sheffield United and Wednesday games and have heard racial abuse.

It is fairly common.  Even if only 0.1 percent of the crowd think it's acceptable, that's still 30 odd people.

I don't agree with a points deduction for racist abuse.  Otherwise I would be tempted to by a ticket for the team above me in the table and shout racial abuse so that get points deducted.

There are roughly the same percentage of black managers in the league as there are black people in the country.

The real problem is the under representation of white players in the league.  

54 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

I have been at Sheffield United and Wednesday games and have heard racial abuse.

It is fairly common.  Even if only 0.1 percent of the crowd think it's acceptable, that's still 30 odd people.

I don't agree with a points deduction for racist abuse.  Otherwise I would be tempted to by a ticket for the team above me in the table and shout racial abuse so that get points deducted.

There are roughly the same percentage of black managers in the league as there are black people in the country.

The real problem is the under representation of white players in the league.  

Isn't that a bit like publicly admitting you're really really stupid?