Help please - where to live

Have a second interview next week for job at Sheffield University. 

My priority is somewhere safe and on  a bus or tram route, probably within 3 miles so I could walk in if the mood struck me.

I don't care about school catchment areas (no kids) nor particularly about parking (no car, though I suppose a visitor permit/space would be handy). Extended family are in Doncaster but I would not be going there daily or even weekly so that is a minor consideration.

Budget somewhere around 200k. Seems to me that Fulwood  is likely to be a bit too expensive and I am looking at Crookes/Crosspool

/Greystones?

If you're happy with a terraced house you'd be looking at Crookes, Walkley, Greystones, Nether Edge or Meersbrook. Crookes and Walkley are quite studenty which is worth taking into account. Meersbrook and Nether Edge are very popular with young professionals, with bars, independent shops and restaurants, and they're right next to each other.  There are also a lot of vintage shops in those areas if that floats your boat (the Sheffield "Antiques Quarter").

Edit: For some reason, I thought you wanted to walk into the city centre easily, which you could from Nether Edge and Meersbrook, but you wouldn't be able to walk into uni that quickly.

Edited by amazon123

You could try Hillsborough, my other half works at the university, when the weather is nice she'll walk in, takes 25-30mins by tram its probably just over 10 mins.

It also has all the shops you need for day to day stuff, it has a  large Morrisons supermarket, and others near by, tesco, Aldi plenty of freezer shops too.

Also hillsborough park, is a bonus.

Edited by steve68

I'd go for Crookes. Fits all your criteria. Loads of shops, bars, restaurants. Pleasant walk down the hill to uni, frequent bus route (52) that also passes near the station for when you need to catch a train to Donny.

crookes is a nice area,top shops,pubs ect,so is the city centre these days so i am told

If you are going for a job at Uni but don't want to live in an area surrounded by students, avoid Crookes. Last time I looked, it's not on a tram route either.

House or apartment is a big question. If you've no kids, and are single or a couple, there are loads of new build apartments between the uni and city centre. Easily walkable and in good areas for entertainment.

17 minutes ago, the_bloke said:

If you are going for a job at Uni but don't want to live in an area surrounded by students, avoid Crookes. Last time I looked, it's not on a tram route either.

Those that live in Crookes will point that it has the most frequent bus route in the City which goes past the University.

Over such a short distance the presence or absence of a tram route makes no difference.

It's a 15 minute walk. 

20+ pubs within 20 minutes walk. Students do not go to pubs as as they used to.

They will also let you know that not all areas of Crookes attracted students and that the student population is reducing quickly.

There are plenty of apartments in the City centre not sure on the pricing though but is an easy walk to the university.

Broomhill over Crookes for me. More cosmopolitan less old Sheffield. Less cramped feeling. Greener.  Pick up a 2 bed terraced for sub 200k

I'd say the city centre, if you're happy with an apartment. The benefits would be that you're close to the university, shops, bars, also the tram and train station. The area around Kelham Island is very up and coming, it's close to the uni and the tram, but i have no idea how much property goes for around there.

Otherwise, there's Crookes, Hillsborough, Broomhall, Endcliffe, and Nether Edge which are possibly walkable and/or have a bus route.