Commuting to Sheffield

I'm due to begin working in Sheffield centre shortly near leopold St.  I have looked at options to get to the centre and would like some advice from people who know the city well. I will be driving from Barnsley so the first option I considered is park and ride at Meadowhall, Ikea or centertainment. I have read that  the spaces are usually taken up by 8am and I will be arriving later than that. Is that true of the new Ikea Park and ride too?  Can you just park in a normal space if its full? I also note that the Ikea Park and ride closes at 6pm. Do the trams on the yellow line bypass that stop after 6pm as the meadowhall one still runs?  I cannot find a timetable with the ikea stop on it. The other option is trying to park in the centre. I have looked at the NCP and Q parks but they are going to be too expensive for 9 hours a day in the week. I don't need a season pass as I will be allocated a parking pass for where I work eventually. I have seen other car parks on Bridge Street that are under £5 per day but what are the chances of getting a space after 10am? Are there any car parks or street parking around the area within a 10 minute radius to where I need to be? 

Why not drive to one of the residential areas near a tram stop and park down a side street?

Why not get the train from Barnsley to Sheffield. It is £7 return and quite frequent 

I can’t help but think the OP is overcomplicating things.  There are plenty of car parks around.  You could easily park in those car parks near the quays for £3.50 a day and walk up to work.   Alternatively, jump on a bus.  It’s Barnsley, not Botswana that you’re travelling from. 

X17 from Barnsley, get off at Arundel gate and five minutes walk to work  

X17 from Barnsley to Sheffield fast down the motorway, or can get the slower (but serves more of the city centre) 2/X2 service that runs down through Hoyland and Chapeltown?

Park at WOmbwell station/ Elsecar station or ASDA Chapeltown (all free) and hop on the train- 15mins to city centre

5 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

Park at WOmbwell station/ Elsecar station or ASDA Chapeltown (all free) and hop on the train- 15mins to city centre

Asda isn't free, it's on a 2hr ANPR park-and-scam scheme.

9 minutes ago, Voice of reason said:

Asda isn't free, it's on a 2hr ANPR park-and-scam scheme.

Ooops thanks, I didnt know that and I shop there quite often. Park on the roads nearby then!

4 minutes ago, lil-minx92 said:

Ooops thanks, I didnt know that and I shop there quite often. Park on the roads nearby then!

Hmmm, that's part of the reason Chapeltown roads are parked bumper-bumper mon-fri 😉. I think your Elsecar and Wonbwell plans are better as they have proper station car parks. Don't know how full they get though.

If you're happy with driving to Ikea park and ride, and jumping on the tram there, that would be fine. I don't drive myself but i've been down there at that time and i don't recall the park and ride car park ever being full. Meadowhall however, may fill up.  As for getting back at 6pm, i'm pretty certain the tram's running at that time.  If it's going to meadowhall it will stop at the Ikea stop on it's way, the same for centertainment also. 

Other options include getting the X17 bus from Barnsley straight to Sheffield city centre, but i'm not sure where in Barnsley you're situated, and if you could get to the bus stop/bus station without having to take a previous bus or drive/park there.

If you drive straight in to Sheffield city centre there's plenty of parking available and by the time you've paid for a south yorkshire bus ticket or paid for the tram you might aswell just pay for parking. Parking close to Leopold Street is: Wellington St NCP, Carver Street, Eldon Street,  Fitzwilliam Street (if you don't mind walking straight down Division Street to Leopold Street, not far), or Arundel Gate NCP.

6 hours ago, marleynme said:

If you're happy with driving to Ikea park and ride, and jumping on the tram there, that would be fine. I don't drive myself but i've been down there at that time and i don't recall the park and ride car park ever being full. Meadowhall however, may fill up.  As for getting back at 6pm, i'm pretty certain the tram's running at that time.  If it's going to meadowhall it will stop at the Ikea stop on it's way, the same for centertainment also. 

Other options include getting the X17 bus from Barnsley straight to Sheffield city centre, but i'm not sure where in Barnsley you're situated, and if you could get to the bus stop/bus station without having to take a previous bus or drive/park there.

If you drive straight in to Sheffield city centre there's plenty of parking available and by the time you've paid for a south yorkshire bus ticket or paid for the tram you might aswell just pay for parking. Parking close to Leopold Street is: Wellington St NCP, Carver Street, Eldon Street,  Fitzwilliam Street (if you don't mind walking straight down Division Street to Leopold Street, not far), or Arundel Gate NCP.

Great advice thanks. Yes I'd have to get a bus from where I live to Barnsley Station and I want to try and keep my journey time down. I'll try some of your suggestions and see how I get on :) looks like I can get a tram weekly pass for £14 per week which seems cheaper than what I've seen that it costs to park in the centre if I use IKEA.