Win10-why don`t updates install staraight after DL

I cannot workout if my pc is working as it should or if there is a fault.

I manually checked for updates and the updates were downloaded.  Why don`t  these udates install on my PC straight after being downloaded.  They are still showing as pending.

Could be a number of reasons, go to your Windows Updates, and check the "Advanced Options" and "Change Active Hours" - there's a few settings in those that can do it :)

Like mine, currently (as I type this) has 5 pending update installs - it even says at the bottom "We'll automatically install updates when you aren't using your device,  or you can install them now if you want."

so, probably just waiting for an opportunity to install them :)

Edited by Ghozer

I changed the active hours time last night to a one hr slot that I won't  be using pc.

I don't actually know if the system can turn itself on in the middle of night for example to install the updates.

I usually get a notice when I am on it though. I am keen to get the installs sorted ASAP. I don't think there is a way to influence this.

No, it wont turn it's self on to do updates, so if the computer isn't on during the slot you specified, it will install them the next time you startup and the machine isn't doing much... (it will delay them more if the computer is in use)

Just got home and switched on. I now have the "Update and restart" option that always becomes available when it is ready to install, so it looks like we are back in business. 

Windows 10 Version 1903 was released a few days ago, the link below says how to get it.
Probably the most important feature for home users is updates can be delayed.

If you go for the update, take the usual precautions: backup all your data, and have plenty of free disc space.
The update took around 2 hours 30 minutes on my W10 laptop.

To check your current W10 Version:
Right-click the start-button
Click Run
Enter 'winver' (without the quotation marks)
Hit the Return key (A message window should be displayed)

https://www.howtogeek.com/402569/everything-new-in-windows-10s-april-2019-update/

If you don't want to wait you can run the Update assistant. I did a couple of my PCs yesterday and everything went ok. I've not had a good look round yet but it seems to update and run well. Mikes link looks like a good explanation of the update.

It's a fairly big update so depending on your hardware, it might take a long time to complete.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10