Jump to content

Freedom of religion - no

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Pettytom said:

What a fascinating choice of example.

 

You might wish to pull your disguise up a bit, your identity is showing 

What, in a freedom of religion thread? It's a good example.

I'm happy to say I'm intolerant of islamic extremists being homophobic, or EDL supporters being racist. Both unacceptable. Some people will only talk about one or the other, because the other doesn't fit their agenda. So, I can't see your problem or your incinuation to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

Both unacceptable. Some people will only talk about one or the other, 

Really?

 

Most people I know who are anti racist are equally anti homophobic and oppose both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

 

Most people I know who are anti racist are equally anti homophobic and oppose both.

That's why I qualified it with 'some'.

I appreciate your honesty, in confirming my opinion, by saying only most people you know oppose both.

It's a pity all people aren't equally vociferous in condemning both these traits, regardless of circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I was asked to clarify my post no. 17, long time ago.

Of course, writing that post, I had muslim customs in my mind. Simply because it's usually muslims who take prayer breaks. I admit, as an atheist, I'm not familiar with all the religious customs. If there are other religions that require regular prayer breaks, my post apply to those also - no difference to me!

 

To those who compared prayer breaks to smoke breaks - you're quite correct. Smoke breaks are driven by addiction of smokers (and as we all learned in one of the previous threads here - addiction is a disease). I'm glad you see the link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an atheist, have you tried taking coffee breaks?  Or if you don't drink coffee, make it tea, or water, or just breathing...  Nobody will stop you, nobody is losing out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

As an atheist, have you tried taking coffee breaks?  Or if you don't drink coffee, make it tea, or water, or just breathing...  Nobody will stop you, nobody is losing out.

Yep, I love coffee and take coffee breaks at work. However, I don't accommodate my work  schedule to my coffee breaks. I take my breaks only if my current work task allows it and most importantly, only if it doesn't interfere with work of my colleagues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Branyy said:

Yep, I love coffee and take coffee breaks at work. However, I don't accommodate my work  schedule to my coffee breaks. I take my breaks only if my current work task allows it and most importantly, only if it doesn't interfere with work of my colleagues. 

Nurses don't always get time for coffee breaks unfortunately. 

 

On the subject of prayer, I've worked in several hospitals,  as I also did agency work in the early years which enabled  me to travel extensively. 

 

 

During that time I Iworked with people of many faiths and none, and yet I have never come across any mention of prayer on duty or in break time by another member of staff. 

 

That doesnt necessary mean those who wish to pray don't do so. Anyone can say a quick prayer in silence at anytime. 

 

 

 

Edited by janie48

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, janie48 said:

Nurses don't always get time for coffee breaks unfortunately. 

 

On the subject of prayer, I've worked in several hospitals,  as I also did agency work in the early years which enabled  me to travel extensively. 

 

 

During that time I Iworked with people of many faiths and none, and yet I have never come across any mention of prayer on duty or in break time by another member of staff. 

 

That doesnt necessary mean those who wish to pray don't do so. Anyone can say a quick prayer in silence at anytime. 

 

 

 

I respect your opinion, many year ago I would've shared the same view. But my experiences are different.

I've been always working in multicultural teams and most of the time there was no issue with anyone's religion, beliefs and habits. Well, until it happened once and powerlessness of the staff and tiptoeing of supervisors struck me. And only after that I've learned that such issues are not that uncommon as I thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Branyy said:

I respect your opinion, many year ago I would've shared the same view. But my experiences are different.

I've been always working in multicultural teams and most of the time there was no issue with anyone's religion, beliefs and habits. Well, until it happened once and powerlessness of the staff and tiptoeing of supervisors struck me. And only after that I've learned that such issues are not that uncommon as I thought.

What exactly happened?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/05/2019 at 17:33, Branyy said:

Yep, I love coffee and take coffee breaks at work. However, I don't accommodate my work  schedule to my coffee breaks. I take my breaks only if my current work task allows it and most importantly, only if it doesn't interfere with work of my colleagues. 

Your choice presumably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.