Freedom of religion - no

12 hours ago, Pettytom said:

What a fascinating choice of example.

You might wish to pull your disguise up a bit, your identity is showing 

What, in a freedom of religion thread? It's a good example.

I'm happy to say I'm intolerant of islamic extremists being homophobic, or EDL supporters being racist. Both unacceptable. Some people will only talk about one or the other, because the other doesn't fit their agenda. So, I can't see your problem or your incinuation to be honest.

1 hour ago, Voice of reason said:

Both unacceptable. Some people will only talk about one or the other, 

Really?

Most people I know who are anti racist are equally anti homophobic and oppose both.

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Really?

Most people I know who are anti racist are equally anti homophobic and oppose both.

That's why I qualified it with 'some'.

I appreciate your honesty, in confirming my opinion, by saying only most people you know oppose both.

It's a pity all people aren't equally vociferous in condemning both these traits, regardless of circumstances.

So, I was asked to clarify my post no. 17, long time ago.

Of course, writing that post, I had muslim customs in my mind. Simply because it's usually muslims who take prayer breaks. I admit, as an atheist, I'm not familiar with all the religious customs. If there are other religions that require regular prayer breaks, my post apply to those also - no difference to me!

To those who compared prayer breaks to smoke breaks - you're quite correct. Smoke breaks are driven by addiction of smokers (and as we all learned in one of the previous threads here - addiction is a disease). I'm glad you see the link.

As an atheist, have you tried taking coffee breaks?  Or if you don't drink coffee, make it tea, or water, or just breathing...  Nobody will stop you, nobody is losing out.

1 minute ago, Cyclone said:

As an atheist, have you tried taking coffee breaks?  Or if you don't drink coffee, make it tea, or water, or just breathing...  Nobody will stop you, nobody is losing out.

Yep, I love coffee and take coffee breaks at work. However, I don't accommodate my work  schedule to my coffee breaks. I take my breaks only if my current work task allows it and most importantly, only if it doesn't interfere with work of my colleagues. 

4 hours ago, Branyy said:

Yep, I love coffee and take coffee breaks at work. However, I don't accommodate my work  schedule to my coffee breaks. I take my breaks only if my current work task allows it and most importantly, only if it doesn't interfere with work of my colleagues. 

Nurses don't always get time for coffee breaks unfortunately. 

On the subject of prayer, I've worked in several hospitals,  as I also did agency work in the early years which enabled  me to travel extensively. 

During that time I Iworked with people of many faiths and none, and yet I have never come across any mention of prayer on duty or in break time by another member of staff. 

That doesnt necessary mean those who wish to pray don't do so. Anyone can say a quick prayer in silence at anytime. 

Edited by janie48

10 hours ago, janie48 said:

Nurses don't always get time for coffee breaks unfortunately. 

On the subject of prayer, I've worked in several hospitals,  as I also did agency work in the early years which enabled  me to travel extensively. 

During that time I Iworked with people of many faiths and none, and yet I have never come across any mention of prayer on duty or in break time by another member of staff. 

That doesnt necessary mean those who wish to pray don't do so. Anyone can say a quick prayer in silence at anytime. 

I respect your opinion, many year ago I would've shared the same view. But my experiences are different.

I've been always working in multicultural teams and most of the time there was no issue with anyone's religion, beliefs and habits. Well, until it happened once and powerlessness of the staff and tiptoeing of supervisors struck me. And only after that I've learned that such issues are not that uncommon as I thought.

1 hour ago, Branyy said:

I respect your opinion, many year ago I would've shared the same view. But my experiences are different.

I've been always working in multicultural teams and most of the time there was no issue with anyone's religion, beliefs and habits. Well, until it happened once and powerlessness of the staff and tiptoeing of supervisors struck me. And only after that I've learned that such issues are not that uncommon as I thought.

What exactly happened?

On 31/05/2019 at 17:33, Branyy said:

Your choice presumably.

While I definitely think that she should have been given another chance (yes, I'm aware that she was previously warned, but as a Christian, I believe in giving people several chances), I also believe that her approach was a bit unwise. As Christians, we are called to spread The Gospel, it's true, but we are not called to force people to listen to it against their will. Neither Jesus, nor the apostles did this. We should always approach people politely and ask them whether they feel comfortable with you addressing the topic of religion. It has become quite difficult to do this lately, as even asking someone if they believe in God is considered too personal of a question, and some militant atheists are quick to play the victim card in most situations. The nurse should have casually mentioned to the patients that she was a Christian, and abstained from making any further religious comments towards the patients who made it clear to her that they were nonbelievers.