Freedom of religion - no

23 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Well you have used the right word, bigotry.  Racism and bigotry are separate things.

Most people are bigots.  Hate fascists?  Welcome to the bigot club.  Despise white supremacists?  Hello Mr. Bigot.

If you think all bigotry is the same, I guess you think hating racists is the same as hating Muslims?  

I think you have it wrong there. Bigotry is about making negative judgements about a heterogeneous group of people based on a superficial common characteristic. I hate white fascists and Islamonazis, but I don't hate white people or Muslims. Stephen Yaxley-Lennon hates all Muslims, so is a bigot.

I'm sure you know this, but Muslims are such a disparate group of people. I know one Muslim who is fasting through Ramadan and one who isn't. The one who is fasting doesn't wear a head scarf, the one who isn't does. You get homophobic Muslims and Muslims who are gay, lesbian and bi. To try to turn people against Muslims is bigotry.

But you don't get fascists who are not fascists, or hardcore racists who are not racist. There's your difference.

Bigotry is the feeling of superiority to or intolerance of people holding different beliefs or opinions to yourself.  There is no requirement for it to be heterogeneous group, though in practice it often is.

I try my best not to be bigoted, but sometimes fail.

The fact you specified that you have white fascists would possibly make you racist, it's like saying I hate black rapists, but I don't think you meant it in that way.

On to Stephen Yaxley Lennon (very middle class name for a working class hero!), does he hate all Muslims?  I have heard him say he hates islam, not Muslims.

4 hours ago, Waldo said:

Post 17 seems to be their first post in this thread, and it's in no way racist, it makes no reference to or hints at any particular race.

This can be very easily sorted out.

Why doesn’t the poster known as Branny clear this up once and for all by telling us which religions require their adherents to stop work to pray.

I don’t know of any and would be interested to know who they are.

14 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Why doesn’t the poster known as Branny clear this up once and for all by telling us which religions require their adherents to stop work to pray.

Doesn't Ramadan require specific prayer times?    I remember one factory I used to work at which went quiet at numerous times of the day as the staff went off to pray.

https://www.islamicfinder.org/world/united-kingdom/2638077/sheffield-prayer-times/

Guest makapaka

The mail is great at whipping up hate for this sort of thing.

Pathetic paper - don't buy it.

7 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

This can be very easily sorted out.

I don’t know of any and would be interested to know who they are.

There's an additional concern of people on here throwing around the 'racist' slur all too easily. To my mind, the onus is on the people making the accusation to substantiate the claim.

In isolation, post 17 isn't to my mind, at all racist.

I can't be bothered to look back through the thread; but was the accusation referring to that individual post 17? It seemed to be, as it quoted it.

If people are pointing out that a particular poster's posts in general have a bigoted or racist tone to them, it may be more helpful to make that clear; else it gives the impression that their objection is with the single post they've quoted.

14 minutes ago, Waldo said:

If people are pointing out that a particular poster's posts in general have a bigoted or racist tone to them, it may be more helpful to make that clear; else it gives the impression that their objection is with the single post they've quoted.

Like I said, this can easily be sorted out by the poster letting us know which religions makes those who practice them pray during work time to the exclusion of their clients/patients.

Edited by Top Cats Hat

As i understand it, the only one of the daily prayer times that would affect anyone working in Sheffield happens at lunchtime, so it wouldn't be an issue at all.   Most of the other prayer times are very early in the morning or in the evening.

Got a couple of muslim lads here in the office.  Their prayers take two minutes maximum.  Compare that to the wasters who stand outside the office having twenty minute fag breaks six or seven times a day.

57 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Like I said, this can easily be sorted out by the poster letting us know which religions makes those who practice them pray during work time to the exclusion of their clients/patients.

Sure, and also just to reiterate, if people are pointing out that a particular poster's posts in general have a bigoted or racist tone to them, it may be more helpful to make that clear; else it gives the impression that their objection is with the single post they've quoted.

53 minutes ago, bendix said:

Got a couple of muslim lads here in the office.  Their prayers take two minutes maximum.  Compare that to the wasters who stand outside the office having twenty minute fag breaks six or seven times a day.

To be fair, everyone should get the same free time then; 20 minutes say, where you can pray or smoke or whatever.

Edited by Waldo

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

Doesn't Ramadan require specific prayer times?    I remember one factory I used to work at which went quiet at numerous times of the day as the staff went off to pray.

https://www.islamicfinder.org/world/united-kingdom/2638077/sheffield-prayer-times/

No.

Prayers are one of the pillars of Islam and are done daily- by practicing Muslims.

Ramadan is a pillar of Islam that means fasting for 30 days from dawn to dusk- additional optional prayers are recommended but the main 5 x a day prayers are standard- this never changes.

13 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

So you are saying that there are no trading restrictions on a Sunday?

I hope that these trading restrictions on a Sunday remain in place,  but not for religious reasons; a shorter day for those that work in retail is a blessed relief. Those that want to make Sunday a normal working day like any other are typically those that don't work on Sundays and they can shove off.

Edited by Yeah but

I do think it's inappropriate for a nurse to impose their own personal religious beliefs on a patient. The nurse in question should have been aware of this. 

However, regarding staff praying together, until a few decades ago up to the early eighties it was considered acceptable in some Hospitals. 

For example at the Leeds General Infirmary a brief period of morning prayer was daily routine on some wards. 

https://m.facebook.com/LeedsTHTrust/photos/a.588410397897335/847584291979943/?type=3

Edited by janie48