Freedom of religion - no

5 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

So you are saying that there are no trading restrictions on a Sunday?

No, you said that you couldn't have broccoli with your Sunday meal because of Sunday trading restrictions. I'm saying that's false as shops are still open Sundays. The fact that you have to shop a little later hardly prevents you from buying anything. 

It used to be that no shops opened Sundays. 

7 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Well, just suppose for a moment that some Doctors are religious, but not Christian...

Then take a look back at Branny’s previous posts. You’ll find an Islamophobic slant in there if you look hard enough.

Post 17 seems to be their first post in this thread, and it's in no way racist, it makes no reference to or hints at any particular race.

I agree with the point in fact, people should not be taking time out while on duty to satisfy any religious obligations. If they feel strongly about their religious obligations, that they feel a need to oray or whatever at times when they're on duty, then they should resign; they're then free to indulge their religious fervour to their heart's content on their own time. That applies obviously to all religions.

I have seen no racism in this thread and the misuse of the word upsets me.

Yes, it seemed like an attack on Muslim practices (not Muslims), which probably wasn't necessary in this conversation.

However, it is disgusting behaviour to just accuse such people of racism. It removes the power of the accusation and makes the right against racism harder.

Attacking Islam is no more racist than attacking facism or communism.  Ideas are fair game to be attacked, regardless of the colour of skin of the majority of the adherents.  

I think apologies are owed

32 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Post 17 seems to be their first post in this thread, and it's in no way racist, it makes no reference to or hints at any particular race.

I agree with the point in fact, people should not be taking time out while on duty to satisfy any religious obligations. If they feel strongly about their religious obligations, that they feel a need to oray or whatever at times when they're on duty, then they should resign; they're then free to indulge their religious fervour to their heart's content on their own time. That applies obviously to all religions.

Totally ridiculous. I have a staff member who takes prayer breaks - about 5 mins per time, a couple of times per day. They fit them in between tasks and it has zero impact on their work. In fact, it's healthy to take a few minutes out at various points during the day. What they don't do is proselytise to the people we work with, unlike the nurse who was rightly sacked.

If it has no impact, why not give all medical staff an hour off each week? I'm sure our over-worked NHS staff would all appreciate that, and as (as you claim) it will have no impact, why not?

11 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

Yes, it seemed like an attack on Muslim practices (not Muslims), which probably wasn't necessary in this conversation.

However, it is disgusting behaviour to just accuse such people of racism. It removes the power of the accusation and makes the right against racism harder.

I don't see why one form of bigotry is more acceptable than another. Branyy is obviously so full of bigotry that they felt the need to enter a thread about a Christian nurse being sacked and essentially say, "ah, but what about those Muslims, eh?" (the vast majority of whom are non-white). I'm sick of it, this constant drip, drip of hatred. Whether someone is a racist bigot or an Islamophobic bigot, or hiding one behind the other, it's all the same.

14 minutes ago, Bob Arctor said:

Totally ridiculous. I have a staff member who takes prayer breaks - about 5 mins per time, a couple of times per day. They fit them in between tasks and it has zero impact on their work. In fact, it's healthy to take a few minutes out at various points during the day. What they don't do is proselytise to the people we work with, unlike the nurse who was rightly sacked.

I suppose the nature of the work is important in this discussion. 

Would the staff member be permitted to leave a project meeting to pray?  Or would they be permitted to interrupt a conversation with a client to pray?

I think the impact on Muslims praying on the NHS is negligible. I would hope that every Muslim member of staff would put the preservation of life before their need to pray.   I imagine that any individual who left a patient in need to pray like be subject to legal proceedings if the patient was negatively impacted.

1 minute ago, JamesR123 said:

Would the staff member be permitted to leave a project meeting to pray?  Or would they be permitted to interrupt a conversation with a client to pray?

No

Just now, Bob Arctor said:

I don't see why one form of bigotry is more acceptable than another. Branyy is obviously so full of bigotry that they felt the need to enter a thread about a Christian nurse being sacked and essentially say, "ah, but what about those Muslims, eh?" (the vast majority of whom are non-white). I'm sick of it, this constant drip, drip of hatred. Whether someone is a racist bigot or an Islamophobic bigot, or hiding one behind the other, it's all the same.

Well you have used the right word, bigotry.  Racism and bigotry are separate things.

Most people are bigots.  Hate fascists?  Welcome to the bigot club.  Despise white supremacists?  Hello Mr. Bigot.

If you think all bigotry is the same, I guess you think hating racists is the same as hating Muslims?  

If ALL staff (religious or not) were allowed a couple of 5 minute pray or contemplation breaks per day; that would be okay, but to make a special exception for religious only people, no.

3 minutes ago, Waldo said:

If ALL staff (religious or not) were allowed a couple of 5 minute pray or contemplation breaks per day; that would be okay, but to make a special exception for religious only people, no.

In my old workplace, where adherence to scehdule was important and breaks monitored, prayer breaks came out of the daily allocation.

In my current workplace, where breaks are less strictly monitored, I could him for a 5 minute break whenever I want, so can Muslims. 

I think of a prayer break much like a fag break.

6 minutes ago, JamesR123 said:

In my old workplace, where adherence to scehdule was important and breaks monitored, prayer breaks came out of the daily allocation.

In my current workplace, where breaks are less strictly monitored, I could him for a 5 minute break whenever I want, so can Muslims. 

I think of a prayer break much like a fag break.

Yeah, if it's something all people have, and you can use the time to pray, have a smoke, or just chill; I have absolutely no problem with that.

It's just when religious people are afforded special treatment just because they're religious; that seems wrong to me. I don't see how my position is 'ridiculous' either...

Edited by Waldo