My food-delivery son has just had his motorbike stolen - Gleadless Valley

20 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It gets even dodgier.

It is also shown as being uninsured.

Good call, I should have checked that on the day of the op too, askMID can take upward of a week to update.

On 21/05/2019 at 00:50, OutragedCitizen said:

So my son is a food delivery driver. He's just delivered food to an address in Gleadless Valley. He phoned a minute or so beforehand to say he would be outside very soon; they opened the door ready and eager for him to arrive. In the time it took to walk up the path and turn round, the bike had been stolen. FA16 NBX with a big L plate. The people in the house/flat were facing the bike so must have seen what happened.

I'm outraged. It feels like a set-up. A 'window of opportunity' of maybe 15 secs. The steering lock was on. It matters so much to our family to get the bike back.

It was xxx Spring Close xxx. I have the full address. Please if you know anything, let me know. I promise your reply will be confidential. 

My son's friend has been driving around looking for the bike. He reckons he can hear it being driven around in the woods. So sad. That bike was the means for my son to earn a living. 

Why is bike shown as not taxed or insured on gov website

I don't want to imply that this is the case here, but the insurance premium for delivery bikes is through the roof because the accident rate is very high and riders are usually in the high risk male 16-21 age group, so many youngsters do deliveries on third party only SDP policies or no insurance at all.

Ok so we'd only had the bike a couple of weeks. It turned out to be third party insurance only, not fire and theft. We bought the bike from someone who hadn't ridden it for a while, hence them selling it but I don't understand why it would show as SORN when it was obviously taxed and tested else my son couldn't have got insurance...?

1 hour ago, OutragedCitizen said:

It turned out to be third party insurance only, not fire and theft. 

You need to speak to his insurance company. The ASKMID Government website has the vehicle as uninsured. 

Does he have a certificate?

1 hour ago, OutragedCitizen said:

Ok so we'd only had the bike a couple of weeks. It turned out to be third party insurance only, not fire and theft. We bought the bike from someone who hadn't ridden it for a while, hence them selling it but I don't understand why it would show as SORN when it was obviously taxed and tested else my son couldn't have got insurance...?

You can get insurance on a vehicle that is not taxed and tested no problem but this bike does not need a test until July this year 

Edited by rudds1

2 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

You can get insurance on a vehicle that is not taxed and tested no problem 

Yes, it is only road tax that requires a current insurance certificate and an MOT although this bike is too new to need an MOT.

2 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Yes, it is only road tax that requires a current insurance certificate and an MOT although this bike is too new to need an MOT.

Correct 

On 22/05/2019 at 17:36, Yeah but said:

Yes, the criminals tremble in their boots at the thought of crime reference numbers being created.

The death penalty should be reintroduced and a points system put in place.  Thefts of the type described in the OP would get you, say, 5 points, so get caught doing that type of thing 20 times, within a time period of, say, 5 years,  and you're put to death.

THIS MOTORBIKE  IS STILL SHOWING AS NOT INSURED ON GOV BASE ./

On 22/05/2019 at 17:36, Yeah but said:

Yes, the criminals tremble in their boots at the thought of crime reference numbers being created.

The death penalty should be reintroduced and a points system put in place.  Thefts of the type described in the OP would get you, say, 5 points, so get caught doing that type of thing 20 times, within a time period of, say, 5 years,  and you're put to death.

3 strikes and you're out would be better. 

A strike would be incurred if a custodial sentence was applied & suspended sentences would be banned.

4 hours ago, OutragedCitizen said:

"It turned out to be" :huh: third party insurance.

Vehicle insurance is not transferable from the previous owner.

"Obviously taxed"

But how do you know-vehicles don't display tax discs.

5 hours ago, Janus said:

"It turned out to be" :huh: third party insurance.

Vehicle insurance is not transferable from the previous owner.

"Obviously taxed"

But how do you know-vehicles don't display tax discs.

Gosh, I can't begin to imagine what 'it gets even dodgier' is supposed to mean.

'Turned out to be third party' because it was his first bike, first experience at insuring a vehicle, and it turned out when he went to make a claim for the theft that he had only insured it for third party and not fire and theft.

The bike was 'obviously' taxed because that's what we do in this family. It was taxed,  made road worthy and insured. He also had to take the various tests to get his driving licence and get himself kitted out with the gear - not to mention applying for the job itself - so there was a lot going on both in time and financially in order for him to start this job. It was very disappointing that it was brought to such an abrupt halt by the bike being stolen.

I didn't mention insurance being transferable from a previous owner (it's not) so why did you?

When the bike theft was reported to the insurance company the insurance policy was cancelled as there was obviously no point insuring for third party when my son wasn't driving it. That'll presumably be why it's not shown as insured on the government site. And like I said, we'd only just bought it so I guess the policy hadn't had time to show up before the bike was stolen. Or whatever. I really don't know.

Thank you to the people who've taken the time to post nice comments. :)

PS it was reported to the police within a few minutes of it being stolen and I understand the bike is featuring on SY police's 'lost/stolen' website. AFAIK my son hasn't heard from the police since he reported the theft and as (as I've said) there's no insurance claim to be had, we've just stood the cost ourselves. Which is why I'm a little bemused as to how anyone can think this thread was anything other than honest and genuine  and don't get why some of you have spent time checking out the bike on the government website then quizzing me about our insurance arrangements.

Edited by OutragedCitizen