Rocket Man

Not out in cinemas yet but I’m looking forward to seeing this . The critics say it’s even better than Bohemian Rhapsody so must be good.

18 hours ago, pattricia said:

Not out in cinemas yet but I’m looking forward to seeing this . The critics say it’s even better than Bohemian Rhapsody so must be good.

Mm... not according to Will Gompertz (BBC)..."disappointing...a bit of a bore."

2 hours ago, steved32 said:

according to Will Gompertz (BBC)..."disappointing...a bit of a bore."

So it is better than Bohemian Rhapsody.

The critics slated Bohemian Rhapsody, but the real viewers absolutely loved it...ignore the critics and talk to people who haven't been paid for their opinion

23 minutes ago, Pyrotequila said:

The critics slated Bohemian Rhapsody, but the real viewers absolutely loved it...ignore the critics and talk to people who haven't been paid for their opinion

Well I am not a paid critic and I thought Bohemian Rhapsody, aside from the outstanding Freddie actor and the true to life staged musical events, was very dull with a bunch of mediocre actors brought in simply for being lookalikes for the members of Queen, rather than their acting abilities.

The trouble is bringing in a film about Elton John is a bit daft as he is still alive and most of the best musical docudramas are about deceased artists, unfortunately.

PS, I am a fan of Queen and their music, just not a fan of that film.

Edited by Ontarian1981

1 hour ago, Pyrotequila said:

Yes, the critics slated Bohemian Rhapsody but it turned out to be the highest grossing film of last year .

On 21/05/2019 at 22:29, Ontarian1981 said:

Well I am not a paid critic and I thought Bohemian Rhapsody, aside from the outstanding Freddie actor and the true to life staged musical events, was very dull with a bunch of mediocre actors brought in simply for being lookalikes for the members of Queen, rather than their acting abilities.

The trouble is bringing in a film about Elton John is a bit daft as he is still alive and most of the best musical docudramas are about deceased artists, unfortunately.

PS, I am a fan of Queen and their music, just not a fan of that film.

I agree it is dull in places, its totally carried by the music and Live Aid finale.

34 minutes ago, Brooker11 said:

I agree it is dull in places, its totally carried by the music and Live Aid finale.

The Live Aid segment was well done and ended the film the right way, even though it was only about half the length of the real thing( I watched that last night on YouTube). The thing is, and the producers of the film knew this, is that Freddie is probably the most popular British pop/rock star of all time, so all they had to do was reproduce the music footage in a good way and his many fans are just going to love it. It worked like a charm. I must add, the Freddie impersonator was excellent , hope he has not damaged his career, as he can really act.

Edited by Ontarian1981

On 22/05/2019 at 23:15, Ontarian1981 said:

The Live Aid segment was well done and ended the film the right way, even though it was only about half the length of the real thing( I watched that last night on YouTube). The thing is, and the producers of the film knew this, is that Freddie is probably the most popular British pop/rock star of all time, so all they had to do was reproduce the music footage in a good way and his many fans are just going to love it. It worked like a charm. I must add, the Freddie impersonator was excellent , hope he has not damaged his career, as he can really act.

Not only did he not damage his career but he got The Oscar for this role.

6 hours ago, pattricia said:

Not only did he not damage his career but he got The Oscar for this role.

I knew that when I wrote my post

What I meant was, I hope he has not been "type cast" and that he can get other kinds of parts.Maybe he is already established, I don't really know anything about him.

Edited by Ontarian1981

Saw it at the flicks 4 times. Bought the Blu-ray on release. It's a shame that the deleted scenes were taken out. Some marvellous material didn't make the finished film.