Bartering at Car boot sales ect

After reading the posts on  this thread ,I had to dig out my Life of Brian video just to watch the Eric Idle and Graham Chapman encounter where they  are haggling in the market...hilarious.

Guest makapaka
20 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Why are you so bothered about my opinion. ?

Because it appears to criticise people for what is an innocent activity which is unfair.

Forumers Ive got to admit I started  this post all wrong and got carried away with the momentum.   I should have began with how come we haggle at car boots but dont  haggle  in big stores which charge extortionate prices like John Lewis for example.  Appologies.

On 20/05/2019 at 13:42, PRESLEY said:

Try knocking utilltiy companys down  OOPS!  I  forgot you CANT. :thumbsup:

Oh yes you can. At the end of my contract with the gas and lecky company (my bills say "you are on our lowest prices") I gave them a ring and had a haggle with one of their representatives, they miraculously found a method of reducing the price, below their "lowest price".  It is now called "super fix" I signed up for two years and saved a chunk of brass doing it. You can't beat a good haggle.

Angel1.

On 21/05/2019 at 11:16, PRESLEY said:

Forumers Ive got to admit I started  this post all wrong and got carried away with the momentum.   I should have began with how come we haggle at car boots but dont  haggle  in big stores which charge extortionate prices like John Lewis for example.  Appologies.

First , you can barter in any shop. I've done it, especially for large ticket items. They might throw in something extra for example.

Also, I think you are muddling up 'expensive' and 'extortionate'.

A second hand Mills and Boon book for 10p at a car boot is extortionate imo...

On 20/05/2019 at 19:49, jaffa1 said:

I'm  with Presley its not the British way with our stiff upper lip and everything,  I feel embarrassed doing it.

I once saw a lovely leather jacket in a shop in Tenerefe and someone told me to haggle as it was their way of doing things so I did. The man nearly threw me out of the shop and said he was insulted at being asked to lower his price a little in his classy shop. I never tried it again , he made me feel so small for even trying to haggle.

That’s their technique to try to get you to accept their price.

its not personal, they are not offended, just trying to get you to pay more.

people can and do haggle in high street stores, it’s just that usually the staff aren’t empowered to lower the price.

When I bought engagement and wedding rings from one jeweller, I simply asked what the best price was if I bought both. I was fully prepared to pay sticker price, but he came back and knocked £400 off! I didn’t feel embarrassed!

I was helping my wife run a stall at a boot fair when a woman picked up a set of four items priced at £4.

She offered £2 for two.

No, I said they are a set for£4.

But I only want two.

She was adamant she would only buy two.

Ok I said, two for £4 and I'll throw in the other two for free.

No, I only want two  she said, getting angry.

OK, I said £4 for two.

No she said £2 for two.

F off I said and off she went complaining loudly.

She was Indian so suppose she was used to  haggling.

Edited by davyboy

14 minutes ago, davyboy said:

I was helping my wife run a stall at a boot fair when a woman picked up a set of four items priced at £4.

She offered £2 for two.

No, I said they are a set for£4.

But I only want two.

She was adamant she would only buy two.

Ok I said, two for £4 and I'll throw in the other two for free.

No, I only want two  she said, getting angry.

OK, I said £4 for two.

No she said £2 for two.

F off I said and off she went complaining loudly.

She was Indian so suppose she was used to  haggling.

If you told me to **** off I'd complain  loudly as well and I'm from killamarsh.

13 hours ago, TheNugget said:

That’s their technique to try to get you to accept their price.

its not personal, they are not offended, just trying to get you to pay more.

people can and do haggle in high street stores, it’s just that usually the staff aren’t empowered to lower the price.

When I bought engagement and wedding rings from one jeweller, I simply asked what the best price was if I bought both. I was fully prepared to pay sticker price, but he came back and knocked £400 off! I didn’t feel embarrassed!

I agree with the way you handled the situation.  It was a form of haggling if you know what I mean. You were polite.  I just cant do the  old,  for example, Ill give you £200 for that item which is marked up at higher price mularky.  It just feels so cheeky.  My way I suppose. Sorry to offend anyone.

Yet every week at least once a day the BBC promotes programmes where haggling is the order of the day and people are rewarded for it.

Flog It - car boot and charity shop barters.

Put your money - bartering at every opportunity

etc etc

Don't get me started on the crap US stuff -American Pickers,Storage Hunters.

I don't barter in High St stores 'cos i can usually get the same thing cheaper elsewhere, or i'm in the cheapest place for the item already.

Buy vintage,antique shops,second hand shops all get offered a price before i buy. If i don't like the response i walk away.

On 23/05/2019 at 12:42, willman said:

Yet every week at least once a day the BBC promotes programmes where haggling is the order of the day and people are rewarded for it.

Flog It - car boot and charity shop barters.

Put your money - bartering at every opportunity

etc etc

Don't get me started on the crap US stuff -American Pickers,Storage Hunters.

I don't barter in High St stores 'cos i can usually get the same thing cheaper elsewhere, or i'm in the cheapest place for the item already.

Buy vintage,antique shops,second hand shops all get offered a price before i buy. If i don't like the response i walk away.

I remember on a couple epsisodes of the apprentice the teams were asked to leave certain shops because of their cheek. Ok before anyone comes out with its a competition. The shop proprietors didnt see that way. :roll:

4 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I remember on a couple epsisodes of the apprentice the teams were asked to leave certain shops because of their cheek. Ok before anyone comes out with its a competition. The shop proprietors didnt see that way. :roll:

It’s not the fact it’s a competition, its the fact you’ve used a competition where the very worst examples of humanity are contestants. I wouldn’t knock a penny off for any of them.