Bartering at Car boot sales ect

1 minute ago, tinfoilhat said:

Went into Dixon's? Did you haggle over a time machine first?

Ha . . .sorry, still always think of them when I think of buying whitewear and electricals - a sign of living overseas for so long.

What are they called now - Currys?  

54 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I dont need to learn  thankyou.  Ive never seen anyone barter in Debenhams. John Lewis or Curries.  

If you were a half decent carpenter, I suppose that you could barter a shop fitting for a new three piece suite or a big telly.

3 minutes ago, bendix said:

Ha . . .sorry, still always think of them when I think of buying whitewear and electricals - a sign of living overseas for so long.

What are they called now - Currys?  

Indeed they are - same difference really. 

Couldn't resist a cheap and unnecessary shot though ;););)

I don't mind hagglers if they are actually going to buy something - haggling quote-collectors get short shrift from me - , and if I think they're being an arse or just think they're entitled to money off, they get nowt. 

It's just odd that someone thinks haggling at a carboot sale is bad manners.  I mean, that's the very reason car boot sales exist - for haggling.  Does noone ever watch bargain hunt, or Antique Road Trip anymore?

Doubt if you can Haggle/Barter at DFS. everything is half price.

52 minutes ago, bendix said:

It's just odd that someone thinks haggling at a carboot sale is bad manners.  I mean, that's the very reason car boot sales exist - for haggling.  Does noone ever watch bargain hunt, or Antique Road Trip anymore?

I'm sure seasoned car boot sellers adjust prices to take into account hagglers anyway.

I'm sure this is a wind up but, just in case it isn't, I have haggled successfully in Debenhams, Meadowhall and  Currys.

More info. available if required Presley.

My last haggle (if you can call it that) was at Evans Hallshaw for my MOT. The bloke on reception said it was £60 and my reply was "you're having a laugh aren't you"  They price matched Halfords at £35. I did feel a bit guilty when I picked up my car that had passed the MOT, it also had been washed and hoovered. 

The one before was insurance on my previous car. The renewal quote was £645 fully comp. Strange how it ended up being a tad over £300 for the same cover with the same company.

I can honestly say that I don't feel degraded in any way, shape or form. I felt over £350 better off...much better in my pocket than theirs!

Edited by zach

My daughter barters in any and every store, and gets a discount most times...even at the big stores. I occasionally do too, and with success. Try it.

2 hours ago, PRESLEY said:

Exactly my point. You dont try it at certain places because you wouldn't get away with it. Its not fun. Its cheecky and I wouldn't degrade my self .

Can you please come to my next car boot sale. I'd love you to pay my proces marked up 30% in anticipation of some haggling :)

1 hour ago, bendix said:

I'd love to see Presely somewhere like Morrocco. The word in the souk there is a goose for plucking would be hilarious to watch

Edited by Obelix

I'm  with Presley its not the British way with our stiff upper lip and everything,  I feel embarrassed doing it.

I once saw a lovely leather jacket in a shop in Tenerefe and someone told me to haggle as it was their way of doing things so I did. The man nearly threw me out of the shop and said he was insulted at being asked to lower his price a little in his classy shop. I never tried it again , he made me feel so small for even trying to haggle.

5 hours ago, smithy266 said:

My daughter barters in any and every store, and gets a discount most times...even at the big stores. I occasionally do too, and with success. Try it.

No she doesn't. She haggles. Bartering is the exchange of goods for services or other goods.