Bartering at Car boot sales ect

I think its really cheeky to  try and knock people down on  the price the they have put on items.  :suspect:

That’s the whole fun of going to a car boot sale and if your a seller you expect people to bargain with you 

2 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

That’s the whole fun of going to a car boot sale and if your a seller you expect people to bargain with you 

I would like to see someone go into meadowhall and try it.  They would probably get something free alright,  a Security guards bot up the Jacksie.  :hihi:

First of all, the OP needs to learn what bartering is.  Secondly, anyone is entirely free to offer any price for any product on sale anywhere, just as the seller is perfectly entitled to decline outright or counter offer.  It is how the world has been run for thousands of years.

Barter is fun, and can save you a few quid.

Don't you ever question your renewal prices on internet/phone and car/home insurance etc? 

I never accept the above prices and always call them. There are places I don't bother as I know it will lead to nothing, supermarkets and shops mainly.

If you need help learning the finer art of bartering, watch Life of Brian, there's a full scene on how and how not to barter!

2 minutes ago, bendix said:

First of all, the OP needs to learn what bartering is.  Secondly, anyone is entirely free to offer any price for any product on sale anywhere, just as the seller is perfectly entitled to decline outright or counter offer.  It is how the world has been run for thousands of years.

I dont need to learn  thankyou.  Ive never seen anyone barter in Debenhams. John Lewis or Curries.  

19 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I would like to see someone go into meadowhall and try it.  They would probably get something free alright,  a Security guards bot up the Jacksie.  :hihi:

Don’t see many car boot sales at Meadowhall 

Just now, zach said:

Barter is fun, and can save you a few quid.

Don't you ever question your renewal prices on internet/phone and car/home insurance etc? 

I never accept the above prices and always call them. There are places I don't bother as I know it will lead to nothing, supermarkets and shops mainly.

If you need help learning the finer art of bartering, watch Life of Brian, there's a full scene on how and how not to barter!

Exactly my point. You dont try it at certain places because you wouldn't get away with it. Its not fun. Its cheecky and I wouldn't degrade my self .

4 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I dont need to learn  thankyou.  Ive never seen anyone barter in Debenhams. John Lewis or Curries.  

Your OP says that it is cheeky for buyers to try to knock down prices.  That is NOT bartering.  That is haggling.

Bartering is not trying to knock down prices.  It is offering one product in exchange for another.

So, yeah, you do need to learn.

Just now, PRESLEY said:

Exactly my point. You dont try it at certain places because you wouldn't get away with it. Its not fun. Its cheecky and I wouldn't degrade my self .

Degrade?

As I said, what about things like home insurance, do you ever question the renewal? Or do you not "degrade" yourself and let them take double to what others might pay?

Guest makapaka
3 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Don’t then - why are you bothered if other people wish to haggle or barter? 

5 minutes ago, zach said:

Degrade?

As I said, what about things like home insurance, do you ever question the renewal? Or do you not "degrade" yourself and let them take double to what others might pay?

7 minutes ago, bendix said:

Your OP says that it is cheeky for buyers to try to knock down prices.  That is NOT bartering.  That is haggling.

Bartering is not trying to knock down prices.  It is offering one product in exchange for another.

So, yeah, you do need to learn.

Haggling bartering. Same difference.  :loopy:

8 minutes ago, zach said:

Degrade?

Try this when you get your next utillity bill. Good luck with that.  :roll: