Jump to content

Bartering at Car boot sales ect

Recommended Posts

I think its really cheeky to  try and knock people down on  the price the they have put on items.  :suspect:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s the whole fun of going to a car boot sale and if your a seller you expect people to bargain with you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rudds1 said:

That’s the whole fun of going to a car boot sale and if your a seller you expect people to bargain with you 

I would like to see someone go into meadowhall and try it.  They would probably get something free alright,  a Security guards bot up the Jacksie.  :hihi:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First of all, the OP needs to learn what bartering is.  Secondly, anyone is entirely free to offer any price for any product on sale anywhere, just as the seller is perfectly entitled to decline outright or counter offer.  It is how the world has been run for thousands of years.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Barter is fun, and can save you a few quid.

 

Don't you ever question your renewal prices on internet/phone and car/home insurance etc? 

 

I never accept the above prices and always call them. There are places I don't bother as I know it will lead to nothing, supermarkets and shops mainly.

 

If you need help learning the finer art of bartering, watch Life of Brian, there's a full scene on how and how not to barter!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bendix said:

First of all, the OP needs to learn what bartering is.  Secondly, anyone is entirely free to offer any price for any product on sale anywhere, just as the seller is perfectly entitled to decline outright or counter offer.  It is how the world has been run for thousands of years.

 

 

 I dont need to learn  thankyou.  Ive never seen anyone barter in Debenhams. John Lewis or Curries.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I would like to see someone go into meadowhall and try it.  They would probably get something free alright,  a Security guards bot up the Jacksie.  :hihi:

Don’t see many car boot sales at Meadowhall 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, zach said:

Barter is fun, and can save you a few quid.

 

Don't you ever question your renewal prices on internet/phone and car/home insurance etc? 

 

I never accept the above prices and always call them. There are places I don't bother as I know it will lead to nothing, supermarkets and shops mainly.

 

If you need help learning the finer art of bartering, watch Life of Brian, there's a full scene on how and how not to barter!

 

Exactly my point. You dont try it at certain places because you wouldn't get away with it. Its not fun. Its cheecky and I wouldn't degrade my self .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

 I dont need to learn  thankyou.  Ive never seen anyone barter in Debenhams. John Lewis or Curries.  

Your OP says that it is cheeky for buyers to try to knock down prices.  That is NOT bartering.  That is haggling.

 

Bartering is not trying to knock down prices.  It is offering one product in exchange for another.

 

So, yeah, you do need to learn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PRESLEY said:

Exactly my point. You dont try it at certain places because you wouldn't get away with it. Its not fun. Its cheecky and I wouldn't degrade my self .

Degrade?

 

As I said, what about things like home insurance, do you ever question the renewal? Or do you not "degrade" yourself and let them take double to what others might pay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Exactly my point. You dont try it at certain places because you wouldn't get away with it. Its not fun. Its cheecky and I wouldn't degrade my self .

Don’t then - why are you bothered if other people wish to haggle or barter? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, zach said:

Degrade?

 

As I said, what about things like home insurance, do you ever question the renewal? Or do you not "degrade" yourself and let them take double to what others might pay?

 

7 minutes ago, bendix said:

Your OP says that it is cheeky for buyers to try to knock down prices.  That is NOT bartering.  That is haggling.

 

Bartering is not trying to knock down prices.  It is offering one product in exchange for another.

 

So, yeah, you do need to learn.

Haggling bartering. Same difference.  :loopy:

8 minutes ago, zach said:

Degrade?

 

As I said, what about things like home insurance, do you ever question the renewal? Or do you not "degrade" yourself and let them take double to what others might pay?

Try this when you get your next utillity bill. Good luck with that.  :roll:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.