Jump to content

Google restrict Huawei's use of Android

Recommended Posts

It's an interesting one. To what extent is this recent spat to do with national security, and to what extent is this about damaging the reputation of Chinese firms so US companies, Apple, Google etc, retain the lead in the tech sector? I don't doubt there is a degree of both, but how much the security issue is being exaggerated because it suits the US trade agenda, I don't know, I don't think we're going to know for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Waldo said:

It's an interesting one. To what extent is this recent spat to do with national security, and to what extent is this about damaging the reputation of Chinese firms so US companies, Apple, Google etc, retain the lead in the tech sector? I don't doubt there is a degree of both, but how much the security issue is being exaggerated because it suits the US trade agenda, I don't know, I don't think we're going to know for sure.

I think that's partly why we are still on the fence over the security aspect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It's an interesting one. To what extent is this recent spat to do with national security, and to what extent is this about damaging the reputation of Chinese firms so US companies, Apple, Google etc, retain the lead in the tech sector? I don't doubt there is a degree of both, but how much the security issue is being exaggerated because it suits the US trade agenda, I don't know, I don't think we're going to know for sure.

That's more or less what I'm thinking. It all seems a bit convenient in light of the recent trade wars between the two countries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it's all in response to orders passed down from the White House so it's fairly safe to assume this is primarily driven by Trump's own agenda rather than anything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

One of the reasons that 5G is being rolled out is not just to play faster online games and stream 4K videos but to enable the 'internet of things' This intially will be switching your central heating on and off remotely but will soon be automatically ordering stuff that your 'smart fridge' is getting low on and booking hospital appointments, ordering medication and enabling online voting.

 

I'm no conspiracy theorist but we should all be aware of what the potential of this technology is and who has control over it.

 As the late Stephen Hawking warned a while back , the human race should be very careful of how far it takes and uses artificial intelligence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

 As the late Stephen Hawking warned a while back , the human race should be very careful of how far it takes and uses artificial intelligence.

 

Using artificial intelligence is fine as long as we are very careful with the amount of decision making we hand over to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Waldo said:

It's an interesting one. To what extent is this recent spat to do with national security, and to what extent is this about damaging the reputation of Chinese firms so US companies, Apple, Google etc, retain the lead in the tech sector? I don't doubt there is a degree of both, but how much the security issue is being exaggerated because it suits the US trade agenda, I don't know, I don't think we're going to know for sure.

Christ - anyone remember "the clipper chip"?

It's baloney. If anyone is worried about malicious Chinese tech infecting our dazzlingly pure Western telecom systems - that boat sailed a long, long time ago [in internet terms].

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Phanerothyme said:

Christ - anyone remember "the clipper chip"?

It's baloney. If anyone is worried about malicious Chinese tech infecting our dazzlingly pure Western telecom systems - that boat sailed a long, long time ago [in internet terms].

 

The clipper chip? Don't remember that one, was it a film or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

EE are about to launch their 5G coverage in the next couple of weeks.  Think Sheffield will be included in the second lot of cities towards the end of the year?

 

EE are NOT supporting Huawei's mobiles due the Google stance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More bad news for Wah Way.

 

Chip manufacturer ARM has suspended dealings with them because of Trump's ban. Although they are a small company based in Cambridge, most mobile chipsets worldwide are based on their technology which isn't easy to replicate from scratch.

 

Another reason to stick with the EU !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

More bad news for Wah Way.

 

Chip manufacturer ARM has suspended dealings with them because of Trump's ban. Although they are a small company based in Cambridge, most mobile chipsets worldwide are based on their technology which isn't easy to replicate from scratch.

 

Another reason to stick with the EU !

I don't get your reference to "Another reason to stick with the EU"?   I once held shares in them but sold up in 2012.

 

ARM Holdings were sold to a Japanese company, Softbank in 2016. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39204744

 

One of the reasons Japanese Softbank bought ARM was due to the EU referendum result.  Since then then they appear to have been trying to sell bits off to other foreign buyers & there have been City rumours that they might once again be listed on the London Stock Exchange.  

 

So while the HQ is based in  Cambridge with a few of the original senior managerial staff the company itself is now about as British as Honda or Toyota. 

 

So once again can you explain why in reference to ARM its better to "Stick with the EU"?  

Edited by Baron99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.