Google restrict Huawei's use of Android

It's an interesting one. To what extent is this recent spat to do with national security, and to what extent is this about damaging the reputation of Chinese firms so US companies, Apple, Google etc, retain the lead in the tech sector? I don't doubt there is a degree of both, but how much the security issue is being exaggerated because it suits the US trade agenda, I don't know, I don't think we're going to know for sure.

1 minute ago, Waldo said:

It's an interesting one. To what extent is this recent spat to do with national security, and to what extent is this about damaging the reputation of Chinese firms so US companies, Apple, Google etc, retain the lead in the tech sector? I don't doubt there is a degree of both, but how much the security issue is being exaggerated because it suits the US trade agenda, I don't know, I don't think we're going to know for sure.

I think that's partly why we are still on the fence over the security aspect

7 minutes ago, Waldo said:

That's more or less what I'm thinking. It all seems a bit convenient in light of the recent trade wars between the two countries.

Well it's all in response to orders passed down from the White House so it's fairly safe to assume this is primarily driven by Trump's own agenda rather than anything else.

12 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

One of the reasons that 5G is being rolled out is not just to play faster online games and stream 4K videos but to enable the 'internet of things' This intially will be switching your central heating on and off remotely but will soon be automatically ordering stuff that your 'smart fridge' is getting low on and booking hospital appointments, ordering medication and enabling online voting.

I'm no conspiracy theorist but we should all be aware of what the potential of this technology is and who has control over it.

As the late Stephen Hawking warned a while back , the human race should be very careful of how far it takes and uses artificial intelligence.

17 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

As the late Stephen Hawking warned a while back , the human race should be very careful of how far it takes and uses artificial intelligence.

Using artificial intelligence is fine as long as we are very careful with the amount of decision making we hand over to it.

12 hours ago, Waldo said:

Christ - anyone remember "the clipper chip"?

It's baloney. If anyone is worried about malicious Chinese tech infecting our dazzlingly pure Western telecom systems - that boat sailed a long, long time ago [in internet terms].

8 hours ago, Phanerothyme said:

Christ - anyone remember "the clipper chip"?

It's baloney. If anyone is worried about malicious Chinese tech infecting our dazzlingly pure Western telecom systems - that boat sailed a long, long time ago [in internet terms].

The clipper chip? Don't remember that one, was it a film or something?

EE are about to launch their 5G coverage in the next couple of weeks.  Think Sheffield will be included in the second lot of cities towards the end of the year?

EE are NOT supporting Huawei's mobiles due the Google stance. 

More bad news for Wah Way.

Chip manufacturer ARM has suspended dealings with them because of Trump's ban. Although they are a small company based in Cambridge, most mobile chipsets worldwide are based on their technology which isn't easy to replicate from scratch.

Another reason to stick with the EU !

21 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

More bad news for Wah Way.

Chip manufacturer ARM has suspended dealings with them because of Trump's ban. Although they are a small company based in Cambridge, most mobile chipsets worldwide are based on their technology which isn't easy to replicate from scratch.

Another reason to stick with the EU !

I don't get your reference to "Another reason to stick with the EU"?   I once held shares in them but sold up in 2012.

ARM Holdings were sold to a Japanese company, Softbank in 2016. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39204744

One of the reasons Japanese Softbank bought ARM was due to the EU referendum result.  Since then then they appear to have been trying to sell bits off to other foreign buyers & there have been City rumours that they might once again be listed on the London Stock Exchange.  

So while the HQ is based in  Cambridge with a few of the original senior managerial staff the company itself is now about as British as Honda or Toyota. 

So once again can you explain why in reference to ARM its better to "Stick with the EU"?  

Edited by Baron99