Google restrict Huawei's use of Android

** I've put this in general as it's more about politics that tech **

It seems that Mr Trumps dislike of everything China has gone a step further.

The headline is "Trump 'blacklist' sees Google restrict Huawei's use of Android"

It seems that Google will be stopping some updates to Huawei devices, and not letting them have the upcoming new release of Android. I only own a tablet made by them but I would imagine that there are a lot of people with their phones.

So is this because of-

National Security

Trade

Harm to Apple (mentioned on the news)

Google under pressure (from Mr Trump)

All of the above

LINK

Thoughts...

Unsurprising.

In a similar vein, we can't use Lenovo laptops (includes the Thinkpads) because of security issues.

4 minutes ago, ez8004 said:

Unsurprising.

In a similar vein, we can't use Lenovo laptops (includes the Thinkpads) because of security issues.

Really?

I've not heard anything about Lenovo, are Microsoft going down a similar route or is it just Android?

As I understand it, Huawei is thought to have very close ties to the Chinese government. I'm wondering to what extent Huawei is an intelligence gathering machine for the Chinese government?

Also, isn't Android open source?

Edited by Waldo

If we can't trust our Chinese friends  then...Hu a wei???

37 minutes ago, Waldo said:

As I understand it, Huawei is thought to have very close ties to the Chinese government.

All large Chinese firms have close ties to the government. The problem is that Chinese registered firms' conditions of trading is that they must put the interests of the Chinese state above all other considerations. This means that if asked, Huawei is legally obliged to provide aid to Chinese state security including data provision or data manipulation.

The problem isn't being unable to post crap on facebook on your Huawei phone, it is Chinese built power stations around the world, controlled by the 5G network being turned on and off at will by the Chinese government in response to trade wars or real wars.

I had a cctv system it was called HView, i had problems with it  and my internet when it was connected, on looking it up on the web i found not only had it opened a back door on my network it was also sending images from my cameras to someone in china ????????????

What on earth do the Chinese want to see my back yard for?  if the got a picture of Mrs Ritus sunbathing it served them right, probably still getting counselling.  😱

I think their obsession with spying on the west is embedded in their technology peoples way of life.

Edited by Arthur Ritus
needed more drama

What about foxconn? They're a Chinese firm who could put stuff into iPhones, I doubt Apple check each one that arrives off the boat.

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

As I understand it, Huawei is thought to have very close ties to the Chinese government. I'm wondering to what extent Huawei is an intelligence gathering machine for the Chinese government?

Also, isn't Android open source?

We were talking in a thread in the tech section about security etc, unfortunately, all devices gather information to a certain extent...no matter if you like it or not. Huawei may be reporting back to the Chinese Gov, they may not. The fact that can't be ignored is a certain American bloke and his possible end game. Is it really about security or is it about money? I think back to the Kaspersky allegation and they were doing the same for Russia, or was that another unproven allegation? I may be seeing a trend in this or it may have no real end other than a hidden trade war. I don't doubt for a moment that the Chinese Gov are doing quite a bit of snooping, as are the Americans, us and many others. If it is a problem, do you think it would be ONLY the ability to shut down a power station? How many things we all use every day contain Chinese technology? While I agree that some is of genuine concern, others are pure hype that people are believing.

I'm not 100% sure how open source Android is. The problem is apps, some are propitiatory, as such it could make the OS unusable for a lot of people if they couldn't access the Google Play Store or device updates etc.

2 minutes ago, zach said:

If it is a problem, do you think it would be ONLY the ability to shut down a power station? How many things we all use every day contain Chinese technology?

One of the reasons that 5G is being rolled out is not just to play faster online games and stream 4K videos but to enable the 'internet of things' This intially will be switching your central heating on and off remotely but will soon be automatically ordering stuff that your 'smart fridge' is getting low on and booking hospital appointments, ordering medication and enabling online voting.

I'm no conspiracy theorist but we should all be aware of what the potential of this technology is and who has control over it.

16 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

One of the reasons that 5G is being rolled out is not just to play faster online games and stream 4K videos but to enable the 'internet of things' This intially will be switching your central heating on and off remotely but will soon be automatically ordering stuff that your 'smart fridge' is getting low on and booking hospital appointments, ordering medication and enabling online voting.

I'm no conspiracy theorist but we should all be aware of what the potential of this technology is and who has control over it.

I know what IoT is and I wasn't claiming anyone was a conspiracy theorist. My point was, we are so tied into Chinese technology already, does this latest "claim" about Huawei amount to a genuine concern or is the root of it about money...nothing more?

Trumps added Huawei onto an anti trade list for American companies that's why google have done it