Red and yellow Mainline buses

I've noticed the bright red and yellow Mainline branded buses from the 90s and early 00s are back on the roads. I had thought First had bought out Mainline and discontinued the brand. The buses seem to be 56 year reg or later, which seems to imply they've been branded more recently than when First took over so they aren't just really old buses with old branding. Anyone know what this is about?

Part of the Heritage Fleet?

27 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I've noticed the bright red and yellow Mainline branded buses from the 90s and early 00s are back on the roads. I had thought First had bought out Mainline and discontinued the brand. The buses seem to be 56 year reg or later, which seems to imply they've been branded more recently than when First took over so they aren't just really old buses with old branding. Anyone know what this is about?

It's just 1 single decker that was repainted into the Heritage fleet to remember the history of buses in South Yorkshire. Likewise with the Doncaster Corporation/Rotherham Corportation and Sheffield Corportation / South Yorkshire's Transport double deckers that have also been repainted over the years.

Quite a nice touch really.

I'm sure I saw 2 once, in quick succession. Are you sure there's only one?

They're running at least one single decker in the Mainline colours, in addition to a double decker in the Sheffield City Council Transport Dept colours (Cream & Prussian Blue) & another double decker in the "Coffee & Cream" South Yorkshire County Council colour scheme.  Both of these double deckers run on the 51 route.

I remember how unpopular the introduction of the coffee & cream livery was in Sheffield when South Yorkshire County Council was formed in 1974 & took over the responsibility for the buses from the individual Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley & Doncaster Councils, doing away with each area's unique colours & bringing in a uniform colour scheme across South Yorkshire.

I've seen at least 2 as well!

For information - if anyone is really interested. In the operational First SY fleet there are six buses painted in historic liveries, five double and one single decker. They are:- Sheffield 1960's livery, Rotherham Corporation, Sheffield 1913, final SYT livery, Doncaster Corporation - all double deckers, and Mainline- the single decker.

The double-decker in Mainline livery is owned and operated by South Yorkshire Transport Museum and is not licensed for PSV work, but is available for private hire, hence why you may occaisionally see it around.

12 hours ago, RollingJ said:

For information - if anyone is really interested. In the operational First SY fleet there are six buses painted in historic liveries, five double and one single decker. They are:- Sheffield 1960's livery, Rotherham Corporation, Sheffield 1913, final SYT livery, Doncaster Corporation - all double deckers, and Mainline- the single decker.

The double-decker in Mainline livery is owned and operated by South Yorkshire Transport Museum and is not licensed for PSV work, but is available for private hire, hence why you may occaisionally see it around.

No, I've seen a single decker in Mainline colours several times (possibly different ones as I'm sure their reg year was different) and picking people up from bus stops down Eccy Rd.

2 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

No, I've seen a single decker in Mainline colours several times (possibly different ones as I'm sure their reg year was different) and picking people up from bus stops down Eccy Rd.

That is correct, @WiseOwl182 - there is ONE single deck bus, Reg no. SF55UAK, fleet no. (as painted) 1017, although it is actually 69017  in the FSY fleet.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

That is correct, @WiseOwl182 - there is ONE single deck bus, Reg no. SF55UAK, fleet no. (as painted) 1017, although it is actually 69017  in the FSY fleet.

I've seen a 56 reg one too.

I can assure you there is only one painted in Mainline colours it's the one mentioned by RollingJ. There isn't a 56 plate one or certainly not one what's in public service anyway.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie2000 said:

I can assure you there is only one painted in Mainline colours it's the one mentioned by RollingJ. There isn't a 56 plate one or certainly not one what's in public service anyway.

Thanks for that @Yorkie2000. I thought so, and the SOES fleetlist dated 13/05/19 confirms it.