Facial recognition cameras

23 minutes ago, Black Brick said:

That's why over 2,000 Americans are dead from mass shootings

No, that's because America is awash with guns.

I think you'll find that walking round with a mobile phone, driving your car through anpr, using your bank cards, your movements are pretty trackable already.

41 minutes ago, Halibut said:

No, that's because America is awash with guns.

There are other societies that are "awash" with guns but don't have anything like the gun crime the US does.

Back on topic please.

If you want to discuss gun crime in America theres a thread here...

Edited by nikki-red

15 hours ago, Halibut said:

Is it Ok if we install a camera and microphone in every room of your house, including the bedroom and toilet? And a tracking device permanently affixed to your person?

After all, you've got nothing to hide

Considering the rise of Amazon Alexa personal assistant devices and always on "hey Siri" or "Ok Google" phones and tablets, I don't think people are really that bothered.

I love how the tin foil hat brigade always go overboard in their justification - embedded microchips and cameras and microphones in every room - you really do yourselves and your argument no favours by making such spurious links and claims.

I remember years ago when fingerprint scanners were starting to be used in schools.  Same sort of barmy rhetoric was said back then.  Now they're pretty standard and nobody is doing anything nefarious with kids fingerprints.

Same when CCTV was installed in hand washing areas in school toilets to combat bullying and vandalism.  People (mainly the rabble mob Big Brother Watch) were screaming their heads off, yet in reality all it led to was less bullying and vandalism.

17 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

I think you'll find that walking round with a mobile phone, driving your car through anpr, using your bank cards, your movements are pretty trackable already.

Yes but I could go 'off grid' if I wanted to.

1 hour ago, lil-minx92 said:

Yes but I could go 'off grid' if I wanted to.

True, but doing that gets harder and harder. Not going to a cash machine, buying things cash only, no car in your name etc etc

The C4 program 'hunted' , although highly faked , gives some snippets of how hard it could be.

On 03/06/2019 at 20:01, Joseph D said:

I think there is a difference depending on whether a photo is taken in a public place, where the default position is that you don't have a right of privacy, and a private place, where the questions is "a reasonable expectation of privacy" (just a source I got it from: https://www.arm-sec.co.uk/blog/say-cheeese). 

If someone (incl the police) takes a photo of you in a public street then there is pretty much nothing you can do about it. 

In terms of the GDPR, my understanding that there is a specific exemption for 'processing personal data', which would include taking photos etc., in the course of private / domestic life (or something along these lines). But I do think that if a police officer takes a photo of someone without a good reason, then it is potentially a GDPR issue. 

I think this is a good summary.

Personally (and I know I"m at odds with the current law), when I go outside, I expect to be seen by other people, with their eyes :) .   Obviously.  If I'm walking down the street I expect to be seen by passers by.  If I'm in the supermarket I expect to be seen by other people who are in the supermarket.  What I don't expect is for images of me to be taken and broadcast who knows where. 

Digital images don't stay contained on the device they're taken on.   You've got no control over where that image ends up, let alone what happens to your recorded data.

I know I've no right to stop anyone from taking a picture of me in a public place (not that anyone would want to).  But actually, I'd really prefer it if they didn't. 

I've absolutely nothing to hide, apart from my own privacy.  And that's really important to me.

Edited by Olive

20 minutes ago, Olive said:

I think this is a good summary.

Personally (and I know I"m at odds with the current law), when I go outside, I expect to be seen by other people, with their eyes :) .   Obviously.  If I'm walking down the street I expect to be seen by passers by.  If I'm in the supermarket I expect to be seen by other people who are in the supermarket.  What I don't expect is for images of me to be taken and broadcast who knows where. 

Digital images don't stay contained on the device they're taken on.   You've got no control over where that image ends up, let alone what happens to your recorded data.

I know I've no right to stop anyone from taking a picture of me in a public place (not that anyone would want to).  But actually, I'd really prefer it if they didn't. 

I've absolutely nothing to hide, apart from my own privacy.  And that's really important to me.

There used to be a thing where they said you couldn't have a home cctv camera if it pointed onto the street. Have I got it wrong or are these diffent somehow?

Not doubting your version, just interested in the cctv side really.

2 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

There used to be a thing where they said you couldn't have a home cctv camera if it pointed onto the street. Have I got it wrong or are these diffent somehow?

That does ring a bell,  not sure if it's true though.

I was talking more generally of having your image captured when you're out and about,  whether it's cctv or just another member of thepublic taking pictures.

2 hours ago, Voice of reason said:

Pretty sure that's an urban myth.

6 minutes ago, Halibut said:

Pretty sure that's an urban myth.

If you capture images outside your own boundaries, you have to ensure that you comply with DPA/GDPR.