Same thing every week...

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

No great mystery.

Before people were paid monthly by bank transfer most working and lower middle class employees were paid with cash on a Thursday. 😀

Not middle middle class or upper middle class then......anyhow, I (we) always shop on a Thursday evening, gonna have to change days now I know that's what "old" people do!

Edited by Bargepole23

58 minutes ago, apelike said:

Actually that's a bit wrong as plenty of able bodied OAP's still prefer to get it from the PO as attested by those in the PO queues. I get mine on a Wednesday from the PO in Wilkinsons, pay my bills that are not DD and then do my main shopping after that. As you say its a bit of a routine.

I’m pleased to hear that , apelike, I’m glad that that’s the case.

Im an ex Sub Postmaster and the demise of the Sub Office network started with the pressurising of both pensioners and child benefit claimants to have their money paid into the bank.

I started in the 60s and it was manic virtually every day. Monday’s and Thursday’s were the main retirement pension days.

I got out in the late 90s and by then we were doing a quarter of the pension work we’d done previously 

32 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Not middle middle class or upper middle class then......

No. Middle and upper middle class employees have been paid a monthly salary for decades.

42 minutes ago, Dreb48 said:

I’m pleased to hear that , apelike, I’m glad that that’s the case.

Im an ex Sub Postmaster and the demise of the Sub Office network started with the pressurising of both pensioners and child benefit claimants to have their money paid into the bank.

I started in the 60s and it was manic virtually every day. Monday’s and Thursday’s were the main retirement pension days.

I got out in the late 90s and by then we were doing a quarter of the pension work we’d done previously 

The PO contract was set to expire but under the Con/Dems it was extended until 2021 I believe. Unfortunately they keep telling those of a retiring age and getting a pension for the first time that it must be paid into a bank account which is wrong. Not sure what will happen after that date though. I have a bank account but still prefer to go and pick it up and do the shopping the same day as its good budgeting practice to have a routine.

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 10:11, Top Cats Hat said:

Insist is a very strong word. They do their shopping on a Thursday because they've always done it then. Is there any pressing reason why they should shop on another day?

It used to be the case that Thursday was "pension day". A shop I used to wok in years ago prepared for this every Thursday.

If I can fit in classes I like at the gym I will.  If I can put in my shifts in the charity shop on the same days I will.  However, those are the only things that I would do on specific days. I shop, mainly on my own, because my other half doesn't enjoy shopping, when I need to.  Sometimes when I don't need to, just for a browse.   I don't think its necessarily an age thing, we never did a big shop on specific days.

I meet up with friends for coffee, when we can fit it in.  I'm in my seventies,  I've never queued for my pension, I chose to have it paid into the bank, just as I was paid when I worked.  Retirement to us is about having freedom to do as we please, most of the time at least.   

Edited by Ms Macbeth